[missbirdphotos] Intoduction

  • From: Dana Swan <danaswan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 14:48:16 -0600

Martha pointed out that I did not do an introduction.   I am Dana Swan the
unbetter half of Martha Swan, the owner of Missbird list.   We live in the
country in Pontotoc County, Mississippi in a small community near
Toccopola.   I am a practicing attorney whose lawfirm is in Clarksdale.
Yes, I put a lot of miles on my car.  As best I can remember, I started
taking pictures when I was eleven.   Am now sixty-six and have been
introduced to medicare.   I have owned a number of cameras but gradually
stayed with Nikons.    I used to do my own darkroom work, but the darkroom
eventually morphed into the laundry room.   My photography went idle for a
while until digital cameras came about.   Eventually I decided to get a
DSLR and out of brand loyalty went with Nikon.   I use a NIkon D5000 with
the stock zoom that came with it.   I also purchased a Nikkor 55-200 zoom,
but didn't like switching lenses.  I finlly got an 18-200 Nikkor which is
my carry lens.   On a recent bird count, I discovered that my 200mm zoom
paled when compared to a friend's 300mm lens.    I decided that bigger was
better and finally decided on the Sigma 50-500 zoom.    I am still learning
to fly it but am quite satisfied, despite the fact that lens and camera
come in at two ounces less than six pounds.  I hate tripods to opt instead
for high ISO and high shutter speeds.  The trade off in noise is acceptable
when compared with blurry shots at a lower ISO.

--
Dana Swan at Toccopola, Mississippi.
*There are two kinds of men in this world.   *