[missbirdphotos] Intro: James (Jay) Cliburn

  • From: "J. K. Cliburn" <jcliburn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 10:53:29 -0600

Let's see if this works...

Hi,

I'm Jay Cliburn, and I live in Lawrence County a few miles outside New
Hebron, MS.  I'm a late-apprentice/early-journeyman birder who likes
to photograph the birds I see.

I use a Nikon D7000 with a Nikkor 300mm f/4 and (occasionally) a Nikon
1.4x teleconverter for my bird shots.  One of these days I may talk
myself into shelling out the dough for 400 or 500mm glass, but I'm not
quite psychologically ready yet.  :)

I mainly keep close to the house when I do my birding, primarily
because I travel a lot for work, and when I'm home, I like to stay at
home.  :)  I did venture out to the Phoenix AZ area to visit my
daughter last fall, and while there I did some birding and got some
decent shots, but most of the time I just knock around the house.

I live on a 50-acre tract of mixed pine and hardwood "hills and
hollers" that was clear-cut in the mid 90s and has now regrown.  It's
been interesting to watch the diversity of bird life change as the
woods age around me.  For example, there was a span of about 5 years
when Yellow-breasted chats were abundant, but now I almost never see
them on my place anymore.

My education is in the hard sciences (BS Physics, MS Computer Science,
MBA), and I work for a very large defense contractor.  (I guess an MBA
isn't really a hard science, is it...)  Birding and photography are
great decompressors from the stress of work and travel.

I look forward to sharing photos with the group.  Some of my work is at:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/101227307619816069536/photos

Cheers,
Jay