[missbird] Swallow-tailed Kites on the coast now

  • From: johnston127235@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Missbird Missbird <missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 19:37:50 -0800

Yesterday, Sun 3/1/15, I was out bird watching in Pascagoula and was pleasantly
surprised when a Swallow-tailed Kite flew right over my head sailing from east
to west, and kept right on going.

Then today, 3/2/15, Mary and I drove down to Bayou La Batre, AL for a little
bird watching and riding.  We stopped on the west side bank of the Bayou there
and Mary noticed three big birds sailing pretty high.  When I put the
binoculars on them, I was surprised again, that these birds were three more
Swallow-tailed kites.   After I put these three birds into Ebird, I checked to
see if any others were being reported, and another birder had sighted two more
this afternoon on the west side of Mobile bay about 15 miles north/NE of Bayou
La Batre.

So apparently these Kites are arriving in our area in some quantity.
Brian and Mary Johnston, Pascagoula, MS