[missbird] Delta Rusty Blackbirds

  • From: Ben Woodard <ben_woodard@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 05:49:29 +0000 (GMT)

Hello All,

There was quite a bit of activity in the Delta today. I traveled from Jackson,
up to Greenville, down through Hollandale and the Yazoo NWR, and then back to
Jackson. At Cypress Lake just North of Yazoo City on 49W there was a large
concentration of Gadwall. Closer inspection revealed a hiding LESSER SCAUP or
two. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/128590412@N06/16700241262/)

Then continuing down 49W into Silver City there was a roadside adult BALD
EAGLE. It was perched in flooded woodlands and marks the first time I have seen
an eagle in this area (I travel this way weekly).

Continuing North I ran into moderate sized flocks of SNOW and WHITE-FRONTED
GEESE. I was able to stop briefly and pick out a ROSS'S but did not diligently
count to see what percentage was represented.

Large mixed flocks of blackbirds had me stopped at various occasions. Numbering
in the hundreds and primarily RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS I was able to pick out a
few BREWERS and of course the ubiquitous BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD was well
represented. It was only later that I discovered two groups of RUSTY
BLACKBIRDS. One group numbering in the 50's and the other in the 30's. Both
groups were pure/unmixed and in close proximity to trees (I mention this
because the other previously mentioned mixed species flock were primarily
located in open fields or along the roadside). Here are a few individuals I
photographed from my vehicle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128590412@N06/16700072871/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128590412@N06/16513759718/

Then, upon entering Yazoo NWR I found more duck species. RING-NECKED, REDHEAD,
BUFFLEHEAD, PINTAIL, WOOD DUCK, MALLARD, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, NORTHERN SHOVLER,
and GADWALL added to the day's waterfowl diversity.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128590412@N06/16515337709/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128590412@N06/16675424596/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128590412@N06/16513956200/

There was also a good number of sparrows at the NWR but nothing un-expected, as
well as a group of actively foraging WILSON'S SNIPE.

I am sure i am forgetting something but this should suffice as a synopsis none
the less. Good luck to all those looking for Rusty Blackbirds as a part of the
Blitz. I will continue to post about them as I find them.

Best,
Ben Woodard