[missbird] Rails

  • From: Robert Briscoe <rbriscoe2012@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 20:00:21 -0500

I have been to the Coldwater Refuge about once a week for the last five weeks.
Three weeks ago, I was walking up the ramp to the tower. Becky, the refuge
manager, stopped her truck near the ramp. The Sora Rails were very vocal that
morning. She told me that sometimes when she closed the truck door the Sora's
would call. She said "I think they will call if you clap your hands". I thought
about that for a week. Playing a recording of a Rail was the only way I knew to
get a response from the Rails. I went back the next week and stopped at the
south end of the ramp. I made a "phhissing sound", kiss the back of my hand
squeak, a Bobwhite whistle and even stamped my foot on the floor. The Rails
responded to all of the noises.
Today there hundreds of coots, 50 Shovelers, Blue and Green-winged Teal, 7
White-fronted Geese. A few shorebirds were too far for me to ID.

Tunica County Shorebird habitat was dry. Big cracks in the dirt. Good numbers
of Great Egrets, DC Cormorants, Shovelers and Teal on the ponds with water.

I came across Sardis Dam at about 4:30 PM today. A thunder storm had just
passed to the east. There were rafts of Coots all the way across the lake. They
were close to the dam. I met a couple of cars and lost count but I'm sure there
were a thousand or more Coots.
Robert Briscoe
53 CR327
Oxford Ms