[mira_talk] Re: how to define insert size?

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 00:24:30 +0200

On Oct 17, 2012, at 15:34 , AYeroslaviz wrote:
> I am new to mira and de-novo assembly, but I know from earlier project, that
> there is always a discussion as to how the insert size is defined.
>
> Waht does  mira calls insert size?
>
> Is it the complete length of the two reads plus the distance between them or
> is it  only for that distance?
>
> Thanks in advance and I am sorry if it's a trivial question, but I could't
> find anything in the manual or the lists.

Not trivial. Indeed, it's one of the things which I improved somewhat in the
documentation, but only for the 3.9.x line. See

http://mira-assembler.sourceforge.net/docs-dev/DefinitiveGuideToMIRA.html#sect_ref_manifest_readgroups

the explanation for "templatesize" (which has replace "insertsize").

In short: MIRA always treated it as two reads plus distance.