[mira_talk] Re: Saving a crashed assembly

  • From: lshen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:57:39 -0400

Hi Bastien,

I have an EST assembly that got cut short during the final output stage
because the disk ran out of space. This is an assembly that had been
running for a month. You mentioned that you could re-launch MIRA with the
temporary CAF file as input. I have the temporary CAF file for pass 6 so I
would like to give it a try. Can you tell me what is the syntax for doing
that? Thanks a lot!

Lei Shen

Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mira_talk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/17/2009 04:38 PM
Please respond to
mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject

On Mittwoch 17 Juni 2009 Jan van Haarst wrote:
> I have an assembly that got killed.

Yikes ... let me guess: a eukaryote?

> Is there a way to not have to start from the start ?

No, sorry, there is no way to restart the assembly when it went down. I've
had
only very few requests for that and implementing this feature is actually
somewhat down on the priority list. Sorry again.

Depending on when it crashed, there may be intermediate results that you
can
re-use though. Your assembly was killed at a stage where the CAF file for
given pass is present in it's entirety in the log directory (if
"-OUT:otc=yes"
is used, which is currently standard for I think all --job combinations of

MIRA).

If you were killed after, e.g., pass 4 of 5, then the result for pass 4
shouzld already be pretty good and you could think to use that. Look for
"SRMc" tags in the file. If only very few are present, then most repeats
will
have been resolved and you can think of using that file as result.

You could also re-launch MIRA with the temporary CAF as input file (then
reducing the number of passes accordingly), though I think I remember that

this is advisable only for bacterial projects because eukaryotes with thir

repeats may cause even longer running time than before.

> The last messages were:
> Localtime: Wed Jun 10 13:01:05 2009
>[ ...]
> It started at
> Localtime: Sat May 30 22:20:10 2009
> You can imagine that I'm not looking forward to start from the start ...

I can, indeed.

If everything fails: relaunch the assembly with -SK:mnr=yes:nrr=15 ...
this
should keep out the very worst repeats from the assembly and go pretty
quick.
Actually I'm thinking of putting this as standard for "--highlyrepetitive"

Hope this helps, please keep me informed if something does not work out as

expected.

You have received this mail because you are subscribed to the mira_talk

The server  made the following annotations

the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc.  It is intended only for the person to
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are not
authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this
message or any part thereof.  If you receive this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.