[mira_talk] Re: PacBio for scaffolding?

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:54:49 +0200

On Jul 18, 2011, at 23:25 , Robin Kramer wrote:
> I doubt that pacbio is going to bring much to the assembly world until that
> accuracy improves.  The problem is the reads will still need to be "error
> corrected" by competing sequencing technologies(similar to the problem that
> 454 reads have),

Math is simple: if PB gets reads >= 1500 at >=95 %, 454 unpaired reads are in
danger of extinction.

I don't think that this is out of reach.

Bacteria and lower eukaryotes would then have a mix of PB CCS, 454 PE and
Solexa. Or perhaps even PB CCS, PB strobed abd Solexa ... but for that the
single read accuracy of Solexa should go >= 90%.