[mira_talk] Re: After Scaffolding

  • From: Gregory Harhay <gregory.harhay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:19:22 -0500

Hi Davide, Davide  et al.

Sorry about my tardy response, there just aren't enough hours in the day.
The scaffolds produced by BAMBUS are just a starting point. As Bastien has
suggested, mapping reads, contigs or other genomes may give you some insight
as to the "robustness" of the build. Quite frankly, I have been handing off
the procedures to use BAMBUS and MIRA to biologist for them to analyze the
results, using some flavor of the aforementioned mapping process. But I
agree, that isn't very satisfactory. I haven't actually tried to perform the
steps suggested in the next paragraph, so take what I say with a grain of
salt. I won't be able to wrestle with these next steps for  at least a month
or two.

I suggest that you look at the Hawkeye Assembly Viewer (it reportedly also
is a scaffold viewer)

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/amos/index.php?title=Hawkeye

as an alternatives to gap4. Here's why. It appears to use
BAMBUS and ACE files as input to produce files viewable in Hawkeye.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/amos/index.php?title=ToAmos

Hawkeye appears to be powerful, although I haven't used it yet. I would be
very interested if anyone got the above pipeline to work to view MIRA
assemblies/scaffolds. It is likely that others would too. Please get back to
the list if you get this to work.

Regards,
Greg