[minima] Re: RX gain of Bidirectional Amp?

  • From: "Joe Rocci" <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 07:41:27 -0400

I've had another detailed look at the Rx-side amp in the BiDi. The problem
begins with the choice of a common-base input stage with a resistive load in
the collector. In order to get a nice 50 ohm input impedance, the common base
amplifier has to be biased around 0.5ma collector current. This very low
standing DC current makes it difficult to get the collector voltage down in a
range where there's optimum voltage-swing headroom and a low enough DC voltage
to be directly coupled to the buffer stages. The result is there's very little
voltage swing headroom, and a large base voltage on the emitter-follower
buffers, resulting in lots of current in those stages. In a rig that doesn't
have AGC, it's very important that the IF amplifiers don't overload on strong
signals, so this should be considered. I don't know why a common-base input
stage was chosen here; the most common reasons are :

1) Predictable input impedance determined by bias current
2) Wide bandwidth
3) Excellent reverse isolation

Perhaps Farhan can shed some light on this design decision.

I think the performance requirements for this stage could be better met by
using the same circuit in the Rx side as is used in the Tx side. The gain would
be the same, the strong signal headroom is (allegedly) better, the match is
very good and the isolation should be plenty adequate. If my previous re-bias
suggestion pans out, the current would be much lower too.

BTW Steve, you're correct that noise figure isn't terribly important at the
lower HF frequencies where atmospheric noise predominates, but there are
limits. If you consider 1.5 db loss in the input LPF, 7dB in the mixer, 1.5 dB
in the crystal filter and 5.5 dB NF in the IF amp, you end up with an overall
noise figure of almost 16 dB. That means that, instead of 0.3uv usable
sensitivity on SSB, you get 2.0uv. That might be adequate on the lower end of
the bands where it's noisy anyway, but when you get to the much quieter 10
meter range, you might wish you could dig out the weaker signals.

Joe
W3JDR

  Date: 10/14/2014 11:03 PM (GMT-05:00)
  To minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject [minima] Re: RX gain of Bidirectional Amp?

  Thanks Mac,

  This is Joe's own suggestion for the TX side of the bidirectional amp. Joe
  and I were talking about the other side/direction, the RX side of the amp.

  I think Joe was saying he thought that he may have seen somebody else's
  suggested mod to reduce current here? At least that's how I was reading
  it.

  Great "Construction Guide" BTW.

  73, Steve.