[minima] Re: LPF with molded inductors

  • From: Ryan Kingsbury <ryan.kingsbury@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 15:15:50 -0500

Hi Paolo,

I was wondering this myself as I was looking at non-toroidal inductor
sources earlier today.  One of my long-term goals is to miniaturize the
minima design so that it is something small/light I can take on some of my
adventures abroad.  Being able to leverage molded, or even SMT, inductors
would be a huge win both for space efficiency and cost.

The AADE filter design tool can take non-ideal Q as well as component
tolerances.  A monte carlo sim can be run to see how sensitive the design
is to these non-ideal characteristics.  I'll try to cook up some plots in
the next day or so to share with the group.

73,
Ryan