[minima] Re: LPF with molded inductors

  • From: Arv Evans <arvid.evans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 16:38:06 -0700

Kevin  GW4WOV

I too have a Beach-40, and am working (slowly) on a 10 meter
version using a 28.636 MHz oscillator.  If 10 meters works well
I plan on doing something similar with a 14.318 crystal for 20
meters.

My concern regarding molded inductors is their close approximation
of loopstick antennas used in BCB receivers.  Probably noting to
worry about though for normal signal levels.  If there is any problem
it would probably show up in presence of nearby strong signals, or
if one were squeezing all the sensitivity out of the rig doing weak signal
work, something like QRSS or WSPR. with very low power levels.

Any potential problem might be minimized by an EM shielded chassis.

My suggestion is to try it.  If it works we all learn something.  If it
does not work, we all still learn something.  Molded inductors are
not all that expensive and are usually available in a wide variety of
inductance values.  Might be interesting to build two filters, one with
toroids and the other with molded inductors.  Relay switching
between filters could support easy A/B comparison of performance
under varying conditions.

Arv  K7HKL
_._