[minima] Re: How to adjust the bias of the KISS mixer in the Minima - Video

  • From: Joe Rocci <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 07:06:05 -0400

I'm still not clear what the test hookup or goal is. Is this the normal mixing
process with the two input signals (LO & RF) connected to their usual points &
at their usual levels/frequencies? What are those levels/frequencies? Or is
this some sort of test of reverse isolation where the signals are hooked up
backwards? Please provide a thorough description of the test goals and
conditions.

Joe

Sent from my tablet

Date: 03/30/2014 1:12 AM (GMT-05:00)
To Thomas Sarlandie <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject [minima] Re: How to adjust the bias of the KISS mixer in the Minima -
Video

About my asymetry, if I inject just the LO on the IF port, it appears on the RF
port at -15dB. It's at -48dB on the IF port.

I have plugged my scope on the drains of both JFET and I have two signals that
are out of phase but if I sum them (the green curve) on the screen, I get a
very clean sine wave and intuitively I think that this is what I get on the RF
port.

If I unplug one of the drain, the LO goes down by 5dB.

I have shortened all the connections. And made sure I had the same length on
the transformers windings for the "symmetric" windings. I have also rewound the
transformer that had very small wires with AWG32. I still get that asymmetry.

Any idea?

73,
thomas

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Thomas Sarlandie <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mvs Sarma / Joe: I just tried driving it with a square wave but it makes very
little difference, maybe 1dB less on the LO leaked and on the mixing product.
Nothing amazing.

Joe: I can try your self-biasing setup. Could you refresh my memory on this one?

Joshua: I don't explain the asymetry either but I see it on both my mixer. I
will keep scratching my head a bit on this one.

I will also do some research on compression point measurement and IMD3
measurement. I have a vague understanding of the theory but it will be fun to
actually try to get the measurement.

73!

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:48 AM, Joshua Blanton <jtblanton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Joe,

I do not currently have an (easily usable) IMD3 test setup, which is why I
measured P1dB. I will look at what I need to re-jigger to test IMD3 when I find
some more bench time.

Thanks,
Josh, KB8NYP

Sent from my phone - please excuse my brevity.