[MikesWhatsNews] MWN#511

  • From: a4a23933@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 17:35:58 PST

MikesWhatsNews, 10, 06, 2002
in today's issue #511
Disable The Security Tab In IE *** CORRECTION
Mozilla 1.0 Released
Support Stories
Microsoft Releases Win XP SP1 Beta
OE-QuoteFix
LindowsOS SPX
MyJongg v2.0 beta
Tina's FrontPage Tips
CCC      Free Budget
        No need for Mulitple users/settings

***MfM***       CORRECTION
In the line below with the *** SecurityTab has *no* space
between Security and Tab
Disable The Security Tab In IE ~ by Vic from WinTips-Tricks

 You can disable the Security tab in IE.
 I tested this in IE 4 to 6 and workded for all of them.

 First,  set your security level to how you want it, then close
IE,  and  go to this key in the Registry:

 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
 Explorer\Control Panel

 If the Internet Explorer and Control Panel keys don't exist,
 then create them.
 Right click the Microsoft key and create a new key named
 Internet Explorer, then right click Internet Explorer and create
 a new key named Control Panel.

 Then,  in the right hand pane for Control Panel, right click an
 empty area and choose NewDword Value.
 ***Name it SecurtiyTab.
 Now double click it and enter a value of 1.

 Exit the registry
 Reopen IE, and click ToolsInternet Options
 The Security tab should now be gone.

sorry for the mixup.

 Vic  see his WinTips-Tricks group here
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WinTips-Tricks
 Lock and hide folders with maximum security and ease.
 http://personal-computer-tutor.com/lh/lockhide.htm

Mozilla 1.0 Released
http://www.mozilla.org/
We are pleased to announce the release of Mozilla 1.0, available for
download now.
Thanks to everyone who made this possible.

Mozilla is an open-source web browser and toolkit, designed for
standards compliance, performance and portability.
Mozilla.org provides binaries for testing and feedback.
For more about mozilla.org, read Mozilla at a Glance.
http://www.mozilla.org/mozorg.html

Support stories
http://rinkworks.com/stupid/
to read about some very funny support incidences.
The site itself introduces the incidences with this:

"The following is a large collection of stories and anecdotes
about clueless computer users.
It's a baffling phenomenon that in today's society an individual,
who might in other circumstances be considered smart and wise,
can sit down in front of a computer screen and instantly lose
every last shred of common sense he ever possessed.
Complicate this phenomenon with a case of "computerphobia,"
and you end up with tech support personnel having phone
conversations that are funny in retrospect but seem like
perfectly valid motives for wild machine gun shooting sprees
at the time."
++

 MICROSOFT RELEASES WINDOWS XP SP1 BETA
by Paul Thurrott, thurrott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Microsoft released its first external beta for Windows XP
Service Pack 1 (SP1), the XP update that will add new
features, support for new technology, and a bevy of bug fixes.
Most notably, XP SP1 includes security fixes and a set of
changes to the Windows UI.

"Today, Microsoft released the first beta of Service Pack 1
(SP1) for Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP
Professional," Microsoft announced yesterday. "
As you know, SP1 is in most ways a traditional service
pack and will include security fixes, application compatibility
updates, and updated drivers since the October launch.
Of note, included in the security updates will be fixes
developed during the security push done by the entire
Windows division as part of Microsoft's renewed emphasis
on security for customers. In addition to these traditional
elements, Microsoft is fulfilling its commitment to implement
the changes required by the consent decree signed with the
Department of Justice and nine settling states."

More than 10,000 beta testers will test XP SP1, MS says.
For more information about the update, see my XP SP1
preview on the SuperSite for Windows.
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp1_preview.asp
++
From; WinInfo Daily UPDATE
   http://www.winnetmag.net

OE-QuoteFix ~ free
http://jump.to/oe-quotefix
OE-QuoteFix will extend the functionality of MS Outlook Express
in numerous ways!
Its main purpose is to modify message composition windows
on-the-fly to allow for correct quoting and to change the
appearance of your plain-text replies in general.
But the second feature is equally practical: OE-QuoteFix can
instantly color quoted passages
(according to the level of indentation) as you view
messages in Outlook Express.
++

Lindows.com has released LindowsOS SPX to a select group of Insiders
<http://www.lindows.com/signup> .
The Sneak Previews are not fully completed products but
showcase many of the unique features such as a
"Friendly-Install" alongside an existing Microsoft Windows
operating system, a streamlined installation process which
requires no computer knowledge and the ability to run popular
Windows-based programs.
This will be followed by the final version due out later in
the year. For more information see www.lindows.com/products

MyJongg v2.0 beta  ©1996-2000 CyLog Software
http://www.cylog.org/games_7.asp
This is a classic remake of the ancient Mah Jongg solitaire
game. Beautiful tile sets, different layouts, sound.
We have written a Layout Editor too, and we will release
it in the future to help you build your own Layouts!
Take a look at our future release.
Some features do not work yet (like High-Scores).
 ++

Tina's FrontPage Tips, by Tina Clarke

Alt Text Change
1. Right-click the image and choose Image Properties. The
?Image Properties? dialog box appears, (In FrontPage 2000
with the name and size of the image file appearing in the
Text box (in the Alternative Representations section).

2. Insert your descriptive text into the Text Box.
3. Click OK.

AccessFP ~ FrontPage Resource Centre
Site ~  http://www.accessfp.net/
Ezine & Forums ~ http://anyfrontpage.com/  FREE FP E-Books

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Free Budget
http://www.webbudget.com/freebudget/index.htm
Freeware
requires MSWord 97 or later

Count the words in any document and determine cost per word.
This is targeted at translators and language
professionals who estimate their work against the size of the
documents they handle. This is also tied into a currency exchange
feature that goes online to find current rates and calculate the
exchange.

~~~~~~~

No need for Mulitple users/settings

Yesterdays tip showed you how to clear the Windows
Password box to avoid having to log in to Windows whenever
you start your computer.
If this tip didn't work for you, your computer might be
setup for multiple
users. If you're the only person using your computer and
you don't need different sets of saved preferences/users,
you'll want to change this setting.
Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel and open the Passwords icon.
Then click the User Profiles tab and click the
All Users Of This Computer Use The Same Preferences And
Desktop Settings button.
Click OK to exit and save changes.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible
viruses, however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures
cannot keep up with the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html

Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help
me keep it interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web
pages, or articles of interest.

All submissions posted in the newsletter will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is
due but at times deadlines and information that is very
important to readers we accidentally misspost an item.
If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know
the author of one of the articles which we have posted as
'unknown', please do let us know so we can correct the
information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more
information, or to go to a link, these often will not work,
as the original information, was taken from a page with HTML links.
This is when you will want to go to the webpage indicated
in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to
                  a particular article.
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/
My virus pages http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿInternet service provided by telus.net
http://www.telus.net/
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~