[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #786 HackFix

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:12:51 -0700

MikesWhatsNews  24, 06, 2005
in today's issue #786

Summer Holidays
2       US-CERT Cyber Security Bulletin SB05-173
3       KnowPlay
4       SlickRun
5       Funtigo Page Creator
6       ATnotes
7       Guess-the-google
8       CCC    TeemWork
9               Colorfull Outlook Express
10      Things You Need to do Before Disaster Strikes
11      Modem/Router Security
HackFix Updates

NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more
          of the article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

Please rate this Ezine at the Cumuli Ezine Finder

http://www.cumuli.com/ezines/ra20853.rate

AOL Users</a>

Hi Folks I will be taking the summer off and there will be no scheduled post
till the fall. I hope you all have a great summer get the opportunity to get
out and enjoy it.
2
US-CERT Cyber Security Bulletin SB05-173
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB05-173.html
Summary of Security Items from June 15 through June 21

This bulletin provides a summary of new or updated vulnerabilities,
exploits, trends, viruses, and trojans from June 15 through June 21, 2005.
3
KnowPlay?
http://www.kplay.cc/reference.html

KnowPlay is a gateway reference and research tool with "simple and fast access
to dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopedias, world atlas, rhyming dictionary, etc."
Thanks to: Christy
4
SlickRun  free
http://www.bayden.com/SlickRun/
 Win 98 and later, 168KB.
SlickRun is a free floating command line utility for Windows. SlickRun gives
you almost instant access to any program or website. SlickRun allows you to
create command aliases (known as MagicWords), so C:\Program Files\Outlook
Express\msimn.exe becomes MAIL.
Enter a web URL into SlickRun and it will launch your browser and navigate to
the specified address. Run multiple programs in a few keystrokes, jot a note,
look up a definition... SlickRun is the most natural way to interact with your
computer.
 ++
5
Funtigo Page Creator
http://www.funtigo.com/
Create your online photo scrapbook within minutes!
Design each album or Web page the way you want it: add text, backgrounds,
clipart, or animated text balloons; move or resize your pictures right on the
page.
Photo sharing has never been this flexible!
++
Thanks to David at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/web_help/
6
ATnotes
http://atnotes.free.fr/index.html
ATnotes is a FREE program which creates notes on the desktop. It lives in the
system tray, takes very few resources, and supports a lot of languages.

Don't lose your notes anymore

With ATnotes, you will never miss important events or lose information. You can
organize your notes by using folders, set alarm, change color or font and send
your note to your colleagues.
++
7
Guess-the-google
http://grant.robinson.name/projects/guess-the-google/

After creating Montage-a-google, several people wrote to me suggesting I make a
game based on the same technology. Montage-a-google is a simple web app that
uses Google's image search to generate a large gridded montage of images based
on keywords (search terms) entered by the user. Guess-the-google reverses this
process by picking the keywords for you, the player must then guess what
keyword made up the image - it's surprisingly addictive.

From; The LangaList
http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-06-20.htm
8
'Christy's Computer Corner'
  thanks to Christy;
http://www.1stpick.org

TeemWork   freeware
http://www.TeemWork.com/

TeemWork is business software, an ERP-like database-driven application.  The
purpose of TeemWork is to help you do more, faster, with less effort. The main
functions of TeemWork are:

Sharing lists of Contacts,  tracking their Call History as well as to-do
Follow-Ups about them.
Human Resources Management
Time Management
Document Management
Simple Easy Accounting

You can use TeemWork by yourself or you can share TeemWork and your database
with others either via your own network or via the Internet.

~~~~~~~~
9
Colorfull Outlook Express

You can use the Outlook Express Messages Rules feature to add some color to
your messages. Let's suppose that you want to make sure you don't miss messages
from certain addresses.
Just choose Tools|Message Rules|Mail.
Click New and then select the check box labeled "Where the From line contains
people".
Move down to the "Rule Description" section and click "contains people".
Type in an address, click Add and then click OK.

Now, move to the "Select the actions for your rule" area and select the
"Highlight it with color" check box.
Move to "Rule Description" and click "color". Select your color and click OK.

Back in New Mail Rule, click OK.
Now click OK in Message Rules to close it and save your settings.

Any mail from the specified sender will appear in your selected color.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

10
Things You Need to do Before Disaster Strikes

a. WinXP Bootup disks from MS
b. Password Reset disk - in case you forget your password.
c. A copy of your NTDETECT.COM, boot.ini, and ntldr files in a floppy. Make
sure that you do not format it as a DOS or boot disk. Make sure the floppy is
COMPLETELY EMPTY. You will need that when you can't boot to Windows due to one
of them being corrupted. Boot up to that floppy and you will see what I mean.
Your computer will boot up to it, then reads the 3 files, and then transfer
control over to your system partition. All the 3 files are in the C:\ . Again,
make sure all hidden files are made visible. Otherwise you can't find them.
d. Emergency disk created by your antivirus
e. Install Recovery Console if you are using XP. Not too sure if other Windows
have this. And hopefully, you installed the Recovery Console before you
installed SP2 of XP. :)
f. Back up your MBR. In my MCH Forums (http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com),
sorry shameless plug, there is a How To and Tutorial Forum and in it is a
Backup Primer that I wrote. Follow my instructions there if you are brave
enough :). Oh, the link is:
How to back up the MBR (Master Boot Record)
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showtopic=35
g. Back up your BIOS either manually by copying them with pen and paper or by
special-purpose utilities. I did mine using both methods :)
h. This is optional:
Clone your pristine partitions, without the spyware, any virus, defragged and
scandisked, with all temp files deleted too. Use Acronis True Image. Install
all your favorite programs and utilities then clone your whole drive on CDs,
DVDs or another drive. To some people, this is a must.

Thanks to: Sean at MCH Forums http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
11
Modem/Router Security ~ Mike's Friday Tip

I'm always looking for an extra layer of security.

When I go away for a day or more I turn off the power bar that my modem and
router are plugged into.

The other day I learned something new, plug the power bar into a programmable
timer.

You can set the times when you need access to on and the rest of the time to
off.
Your modem/router don't need to be on when you are out or sleeping.

With wireless routers becoming more commonplace the risk of hacking increases.
Every step you take to secure your system makes it that much more difficult for
the hackers.

  HackFix updates, thanks to Christy;
staff@xxxxxxxxxxx
Http://www.hackfix.org
This weeks Virus Pattern Updates (06/23/2005)

All Software listed Alphabetically by Company name as some
companies manufacture more then one product.

Aladdin Knowledge Systems

Esafe Desktop/Gateway/Enterprise
Last Updated June 23/2005
To update your software
Visit: http://www.esafe.com/esafe/downloads/virusig.asp
Or
From the Esafe folder in your Start Menu select Download Updates
~~~~~

AlWil Software

Avast Antivirus
Last Updated June 23/2005
To update your software:
Visit: http://www.avast.com/
Or
Right click on the AVAST icon in the system tray, Select iAVS Update,
AVAST will check for updates and download the appropriate files as needed.
~~~~~

 Authentium Software Systems

Command antivirus
Last Updated June 22/2005
To update your software
Visit
http://www.authentium.com/support/downloads/index.cfm
~~~~~

Center for Antivirus Technologies (CAT)

Quickheal
Last Updated June 23/2005
To update your software
Visit: http://207.230.103.11/public/updates/updates.asp
Or
Open Quickheal select Utility from the top toolbar and liveupdate.  Follow the
onscreen prompts.  Alternately you can select Liveupdate directly from the
QuickHeal program menu on the startmenu.
~~~~~

Frisk Software Systems

Fprot
Last Updated June 20/2005
To update your software
Visit: http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/
~~~~~

Computer Associates

E-Trust
Last updated June 23/2005
To update your software
http://www3.ca.com/support/vicdownload/
Or
From the Respective folder in your Start Menu select Autodownload

For Vet Anti virus
http://www.vet.com.au/html/software/update.html

Be sure to have your Customer ID and your registered email address
handy for verification.

~~~~~~

GeCad Software

Rav (Reliable AntiVirus)
Last Updated:  June 23/2005
To update your software:
Visit:
http://www.ravantivirus.com/pages/dldupdate.php?type=Daily
Or
Open Rav and select Rav Update from the toolbar
~~~~~

Grisoft Inc.

AVG
Announcing the End of Support for AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 (December 31, 2004)
Read more here: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_avg6_termination.php
(New update details will be available soon)

Last updated June 23/2005
To update your software
Visit: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/72/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
Or
You can also perform updates using the Check for
Updates option within the menu that opens after right
mouse button clicking over the AVG icon located on
the system tray.

**Note:  To help speed up AVG updates you can set your program to use
an alternate download site.
AVG 7.0  go to the control panel at the bottom is "Update Manager"
select that and then select "settings" (at the bottom)  in there under
"url"  you can add/delete/edit etc  the update urls as needed  you
can move the order of the update urls as well.... such as putting the
backup url first etc.  You can add the secondary site (www.grisoft.cz)
to help to ease the server and make your update go quicker as most
don't use it!
~~~~~

H+Bedv

AntiVir
Last updated June 23/2005
To update your software
Visit: http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html
Or
Open AntiVir, from the top toolbar select Tools->start internet update and
follow the on screen prompts.

Vexira
Last updated June 23/2005
To update your software
Visit: no visable update page on site main page at
http://www.centralcommand.com/index.html
Or
Open Vexira, from the top toolbar select Tools->start internet update and
follow the on screen prompts.

Vexira Antivirus is marketed by Central Command however it is the same program
as Antivir with only a different name.
~~~~~

Kaspersky

Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Last updated June 23/2005
To update your software
Visit: http://www.kaspersky.com/updates.asp
Or
Open AVP from the top toolbar click Tools-> Update virus definition
Or
From the Kaspersky folder in your Start Menu select AVP updater

**Note:  Improved update accessiblity.  To ease the update web traffic
Kaspersky labs has additional servers for autoupdating.  The program
defaults to use one server but can be altered to check a variety of
servers. Select Kaspersky updater, select update via the internet to
open the drop down box(es) select "location"  Check the box labeled
"Use alternate locations from the list"  select next and next to update.
This option should stay selected after the first time.  This helps
Kaspersky lighten the load for updates and helps you obtain updates
easier.
~~~~~

Network Associates

Mcafee
Last updated June 22/2005
To update your software
For Mcafee Visit
http://www.networkassociates.com/us/downloads/updates/superdat_download.asp
(for Virus and Engine updates)

Drsolomn (Product no longer available for new users however
updates still available for current users):  Go to the following
Internet site: http://download.mcafee.com/updates/4x.asp
IMPORTANT: When you get to this site you may notice that it refers
to VirusScan. This update is not only for VirusScan. It also works
with Dr.Solomon's.

Or
Open your respective software virus scan scheduler, double click
Auto update, click Run Now to do a manual live update, or click
Schedule to set up a timed live update.
~~~~~

Norman Data Defence

Norman Virus Control
Last updated June 23/2005
To update your software
Visit:
http://www.norman.com/downloads.shtml#definition_files_updates
Be sure to have your Valid Username and password handy for verification.
Or
From the Norman folder in your Start Menu select Internet Update

**Note Norman Virus Control web updates are only for version prior to
5.0.  Norman 5.0 can only be updated via the update in the program itself.

~~~~~

Softwin

BitDefender
Last Updated June 17/2005
To update your software
Visit:
http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/downloads.php?menu_id=19&s_id=3
Or
Open BitDefender select Protection Options->live upgrade
Or
From the BitDefender folder in your Start Menu select Bitdefender Live

~~~~~

Sophos

Sophos Anti Virus
Last IDE available June 23/2005
To obtain the latest IDE files
Visit: http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/

**Note:  Sophos does not update as other products do.  They update
the Engine/software once a month (or so) to include all the previous
IDE files.  New IDE files are available with new virus threats and must
be downloaded individually until the next software update is available.
Our update dates reflect the most recent available IDE file.
~~~~~

Symantec

Nortons AntiVirus
Last updated June 23/2005
To update your software
Visit:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html select
your language -> product from the list
Or
Open Nortons software and click the "live update" button
Or
From the Nortons folder in your Start Menu select LiveUpdate -
Norton Antivirus
~~~~~

Trend Micro

PcCillin
Last updated June 21/2005
To update your software
Visit: http://www.antivirus.com/download/pattern.asp
Be sure to have your Registration number handy for verification
Or
Open PcCillin click Update then click Update Now (or Update later
to Schedule a timed update)

**Note:  Users of non-NPF (i.e., old 3-digit pattern format) compliant
products will not be able to update to the pattern release indicated
in this email.  Non-NPF compliant products can only update to
pattern 991, which was released March 7, 2005. TrendLabs urges
all affected customers to apply the New Pattern Format solution
at http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/npf/overview.htm or
upgrade to the latest product version to address this limitation.

~~~~~~~~~

If there is an Anti Virus program that is Not listed here that
you would like to see added to the weekly updates list Please
feel free to let us know.

Remember Your anti virus software is only as good as the user...
If you don't keep it updated it won't provide you with maximum
protection.

This weekly Update will be sent every Thursday on or after
6pm (eastern) to keep you up to date on virus pattern updates
available. Virus patterns are checked for most recent update
date as of 6pm Thursdays.

~~~~

~ Hackfix Project Staff
staff@xxxxxxxxxxx
Http://www.hackfix.org

3017 St Clair Ave #176
Burlington, Ontario
L7R 3L7

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~