[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #583

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:48:56 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 29, 10, 2002
in today's issue #583
ERUNT - The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
Answers That Work
Stickies v4.0a
Clear out your Internet Explorer Temp File when IE is Closed
The Pumpkin King Halloween Contest
Sneaky E-card Installs Porn ?Worm?
Spiral Screensaver
CCC      Digital Music Network
        Orogram Arangement

ERUNT - The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/XP v1.0 Freeware
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt

As Windows XP comes pre-installed many new home user PCs and
may become the new Windows standard in the next years, I decided to
write a program which offers the ease-of-use of Windows 9x/Me ERU by
Microsoft (hence the name ERUNT) to backup the registry, as well as
providing an auto-backup capability, for example at Windows startup.

Or, before installing a new program for testing purposes one could
save the registry with ERUNT, install and test the program, uninstall
it and restore the registry to be 100% sure that no debris is left
from the program.

Features
--------

- Backup the Windows NT/2000/XP registry to a folder of your choice

- System and current user registries selectable

- Command-line switches for automated use of ERUNT

- Restore the registry in Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000/XP and MS-DOS
  (all-in-one restore program)

- Included in this package:
  NTREGOPT program for optimizing the registry

- All programs in this package are completely localizable
  (translate them into your language), German version included
++

Answers That Work
http://www.answersthatwork.com
The Library of Answers That Work works on a brand new and unique concept.
We have built the Library on the basis that in most cases you will want to
use a solution more than once.  There is no better place, therefore, than
for that solution to be  on your own PC,  in a folder structure that makes
sense and which you can navigate easily and, above all,  quickly  ?
because it is on your PC rather than on the Internet.

Stickies v4.0a   by Tom Revell ~ free
http://www.btinternet.com/~tom.revell/index.html
Stickies is a PC utility to replace the Post-It® notes  the monitor.
It is a computerised version of those notes.

The idea behind Stickies is that the program is small and simple.
Admittedly, over time it's grown in size as I've added features, but it
compiles to around 200k, which is pretty tiny by today's standards. Stickies
will not mess with your system files, or write to the registry. Stickies
stores all information in a single text-based ini file.
The program is written in Microsoft Visual C++.
++

Clear out your Internet Explorer Temp File when IE is Closed
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security
/topics/hcp1.asp
Did you know Internet Explorer downloads everything you see when you're
browsing the Web? That's right! Every picture, every piece of text is just
sitting there on your hard disk. It's not very difficult for someone to get
a good idea of what you've been up to if you let that stuff sit on your
computer. What you need to do is clear out those Internet temp files so that
no one will be able to look at what you've been looking at! Here's one way
to do it:

Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu and then click the Internet
Options command.
Click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down and find the Empty Temporary Internet
Files folder when browser is closed entry and click the checkbox. Click
Apply and then click OK.
Close all browser windows and open Internet Explorer.
Now when you close all your browser windows, the temporary Internet files
will go with them.

The Pumpkin King Halloween Contest. Demo
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=24920&db=win
Presented by End If Software. Pumpkin King Halloween is a small action game
where the sheltering light of a pumpkin has to be protected from hostile
moths. Who stands this challenge can become the honorable Pumpkin king.
Well, are you ready to defend the pumpkin's light in this darkest of nights?
On ye go, hold your own bravely. Until Halloween comes...
++

Sneaky E-card Installs Porn ?Worm?  by Bob Sullivan MSNBC
http://www.msnbc.com/news/826033.asp?cp1=1

Card turns PCs into spam generators, but is it a virus?
Users who try to view the e-card are warned they must install new software
and told in small print of the End User License Agreement that the program
will access the installer?s address book.

Oct. 25 ?  It?s part spam, part pop-up porn ad software, part computer
virus, part e-greeting card ? but a complete nuisance. Internet users are
starting to complain to their anti-virus providers about a suspicious e-mail
making the rounds that purports to be a harmless electronic greeting card.
But trying to pick up the card has severe consequences: a copy of the e-card
e-mail is sent to everyone in the recipient?s Outlook e-mail address book,
similar to the worm-like behavior of the Melissa virus or the LoveBug. The
incident highlights a disturbing trend: spam advertisers taking up tactics
used by virus writers.
++
From; MSNBC  Hacks, Viruses & Scams