[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #582

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:50:33 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 28, 10, 2002
in today's issue #582
Security Vulnerability in Win XP Help and Support Center
Encarta Rocks: A Rock 'n' Roll Quiz
Creatures Playground
Virtual Magnifying Glass for Windows v1.55
Rose City Software to Continue Calypso(R) Development
CCC      MT-Organizer
        No need for Mulitple users/settings

 Security Vulnerability in Win XP Help and Support Center
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security
/topics/hcp1.asp
A security vulnerability in Windows XP, which has been fixed in Service Pack
1 has been a popular topic of discussion. In the interest of helping our
customers understand the situation, we?d like to provide some clear
updated information about the vulnerability, the risk it poses, and our
efforts to determine the most effective way to help ensure the safety of the
greatest number of our customers.

The vulnerability involves a flaw in the Windows XP Help and Support Center;
specifically, in a feature that helps customers locate the appropriate
device drivers for new hardware. It was reported to the Microsoft Security
Response Center, and we worked closely with the finder to investigate it.
Both the finder and Microsoft agree on the scope of the vulnerability ? it
could allow an attacker to delete files on another user?s system. An
attacker could exploit the vulnerability via a web site or HTML mail.
However, the vulnerability provides no way to force a user to the
attacker?s web site. Likewise, the mail-based attack vector could not be
exploited if the user were running Outlook 2002, Outlook Express 6, or had
installed the Outlook Email Security Update on either Outlook 98 or 2000.
 ++

Encarta Rocks: A Rock 'n' Roll Quiz
http://encarta.msn.com/quiz/quiz.asp?QuizID=70
 If you?ve always dreamed of belting out a rock anthem before thousands of
screaming fans, then you?ll need to know your rock-music heritage.
Get a little help from your friends with the Encarta rock-and-roll quiz.
And because we rock so hard, this quiz goes to 11.
From; Microsoft

Creatures Playground  ~ demo
http://www.vnunet.com/Download/1113389
Win 95/98/ME
An engaging, interactive game for four to eight year-olds.

This game is aimed at children between the ages of four and eight, but is
such good fun it will appeal to all.
It is a world inhabited by the Norns (virtual life creatures) and is full of
exciting activities for your child to enjoy.
Many of these activities will improve their lateral thinking skills, and
will teach them about life's milestones.

The game begins with the hatching of a baby Norn.
From this moment on the Norn is the child's responsibility, to ensure that
it grows up to be a happy, well-rounded adult.

The Norns are created with CyberLife technology, which enables them to think
for themselves and learn from their experiences.

Your child can also punish or reward their Norn depending on what it does.
This is a great way for your child to learn right from wrong, and will also
teach sensible pet care.

The graphics are bold and cute, with a great musical accompaniment.
Practically everything on the screen can be interacted with, and often
reveals something surprising.

With so much to do and so many places to visit, your child will love this
game.
The mix of educational and fun elements is great.
++

Virtual Magnifying Glass for Windows v1.55
http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/
·         Screen magnification software

·         Free software (see license below for further details)

·         Requires Microsoft Windows® 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP/...

·         Windows® 98 or later or IE4 or later required to view help
file (HTML Help format)

·         At least 133 Mhz processor required (>1Ghz processor and quality
graphics card recommended for best performance)

·         Released September 5th 2002

·         Does not support dual display systems
++

I consider this to be good news;
Rose City Software to Continue Calypso(R) Development

Portland, OR?October 24, 2002

Rose City Software, a division of Infinisource Inc., is pleased to announce
that it has reached an agreement with Micro Computers Systems, Inc.
authorizing Rose City to continue development, marketing and support of the
Calypso(R) email client.

Originally developed by Micro Computer Systems, Inc., Calypso is a premiere
Internet email application which includes many advanced and unique features,
including mailing list support, reply templates and an encrypted address
book to provide immunity from current Internet "worms".  Most people fed up
with the standard feature-limited email programs out there quickly adapt to
Calypso's clean, intuitive interface and its extremely user-friendly design

Rose City Software, currently marketing more than twenty software
applications in collaboration with a number of shareware developers,
including such popular titles as TweakMaster, Registry First Aid and Magic
Notes, is delighted to add the outstanding Calypso email client to its
lineup of top-quality shareware.

With a number of loyal Calypso users in-house, including President & CEO
Joseph Burke, Rose City plans to continue Calypso's tradition of providing a
full-featured yet bloat-free email client for Internet users.  Current plans
call for an initial maintenance release in the short term, with a major
upgrade in the works for 2003.

"We are very excited to be able to continue development of this excellent
email client", says Eric Salmassy, Senior Account Development Manager at
Rose City.  "I have been using Calypso for several years and have never
found another email program that comes close to it in terms of a feature
set, clean interface, and efficiency".

Rose City strongly encourages loyal Calypso users to sign up for Rose City's
exclusive new affiliate program and participate in the growth of what is
sure to become the number one email program on the Internet.  See
http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/affiliates.html for more information.

An overview of Rose City Software applications can be found at
http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/overview.html

Inquiries may be directed to Eric Salmassy at eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Calypso is a registered trademark of Micro Computer System, Inc.

I use Calypso on Windows XP and Win 98SE and recomend it.
Mike

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

MT-Organizer
Freeware
http://www.viewgreece.com/mt-organizer/mtorg1_2.zip

This is an address book, calendar and reminder program. The
reminder provides an easy way to remember birthdays, appointments
and other things you sometimes forget about.

The main web page is not in english but the program is.  Here are
some screen shots of the program itself and the link above is to
the direct download.

http://www.viewgreece.com/mt-organizer/scrsht01.jpg
http://www.viewgreece.com/mt-organizer/scrsht02.jpg
http://www.viewgreece.com/mt-organizer/scrsht03.jpg
http://www.viewgreece.com/mt-organizer/scrsht04.jpg

~~~~~~~

No need for Mulitple users/settings

 If you're the only person using your computer and you
don't need different sets of saved preferences/users, you'll want
to change this setting. Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel and
open the Passwords icon. Then click the User Profiles tab and
click the All Users Of This Computer Use The Same Preferences And
Desktop Settings button. Click OK to exit and save changes.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~