[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #580

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:45:43 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 24, 10, 2002
in today's issue #580
Best Friends
Crazy Browser 1.05
X-Cleaner
System Safe Gold Classic
Windows XP On Screen Keyboard Saves the Day
SpySites and SpySites Plus ~ Updates
CCC     RubberBand Toys
        Optimize Your Registry

Best Friends ~ free game
http://www.retro64.com/bf.asp
Petey and Patty are best friends, but they are always becoming separated!
Help reunite them through bouncy, twisty, "slidey" boards.
Each board has its own unique challenges and obstacles.
Slides, warps, bounce pads, and more, all contribute to the whimsical
mayhem!
++

Crazy Browser 1.05
http://www.crazybrowser.com/

Crazy Browser is a powerful Web browser.
Win 95/98/ Me/2000/ XP/NT 4.0 or later
It has the ability to open multiple sites and windows inside a single
browser task.
It also has a Smart Popup Filter - it blocks all the annoying popups
automatically!

This has full support for Windows XP Theme and P3P privacy policy and
JavaScript error suppression.... It can handle multiple monitors and has tab
status indicators. Annoying ad windows can be removed automatically and
multiple pages can be saved and reopened together. Crazy Browser comes with
many preconfigured search engines, but you can extend it to use your own.
++

X-Cleaner
http://www.xblock.com/freeware
This freeware comes with many functions, It performs cookie cleaning,
Internet cache cleaning, scans for many popular spy software packages
and performs permanent file shredding.
A new version of X-Cleaner has been released, which detects a new range
of spyware programs.  In light of the recent surge of spyware activity, we
recommend everybody to upgrade their copy as soon as possible.
++

System Safe Gold Classic
Freeware
http://look.tucows.com/system/adnload/195498_75627.html
Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME

Allows the user to system files and repair/replace
corrupt/missing system files.

Protect your system files with this powerful program. It
repairs/replaces corrupt/missing system files. FileScan can scan
your system at Windows startup and make corrections if needed.
System File Lab can protect hundreds of files.

Note: The registration key is available through registering this
software. See the registration material in the program or on the
internet at  the site.
Thanks to; Christy

Windows XP On Screen Keyboard Saves the Day

What do you do if your keyboard goes wonky? How do you type an email message
or even type a command string in the Run command? No problem! Just use the
Windows XP On Screen keyboard. This little utility is handy not only if your
keyboard stops working, but also if you're using a handheld or tablet PC.
You need to be prepared, though. Try this out:

Right click on an empty area of the desktop, point to New and click
Shortcut.
On the first page of the shortcut wizard, type in osk in the text box and
click Next.
On the Select a Title for the Program page, type in Online Keyboard. Click
Finish.
Now that the online keyboard icon is sitting there on your desktop, ready
for when your keyboard goes whack. Just click the icon, then open the
program you want to type into, and have at it. Is that cool or what?

 From: WinXPnews? E-Zine
http://www.winxpnews.com/?id=46

Hello All,

Just a short note to let you know I've released a database update for
SpySites with more than 300 additional sites added.

Although the Database is the same for both SpySites and SpySites Plus, they
install in different directories. Please choose the correct one for your
version.

SpySites Database Download
http://camtech2000.net/Programs/SS_102202.zip

SpySites Plus Database Download
http://camtech2000.net/Programs/SSP_102202.zip

Until next time,

Jerry Campbell
http://Camtech2000.net
http://Camtech2000.com
http://Camtech2000.org

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

RubberBand Toys!

http://www.rubberbandtoys.com/Index.asp?s=0

Looking for rubber band guns and rubber band toys on the
internet? You've found the right place. Since 1997
Rubber Band Toys has been stirring up fun at home and around the
office. Whether you're six or sixty-six,
in-door target shooting has never been more fun
~~~~~~~

Optimize Your Registry

The Registry is one of those things Windows simply cannot do
without. The Registry acts as a repository in the form of a
massive database of information about your computer and
everything on it. Occasionally, however, because of frequent
inserts and deletes, the registry can become unwieldy, with large
holes in it. Think of it as a slice of Swiss cheese.

You can manually optimize your registry in addition to the
regular automatic optimization. To do so, just type:
SCANREG /OPT at the DOS prompt. This compacts the Registry down
and fills in the holes.

Caveat: This procedure won't work from within Windows -- only at
the DOS prompt. Also, the procedure will not work at all within
Windows.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~