[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #579

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:53:36 -0700

MikesWhatsNews, 23, 10, 2002
in today's issue #579
Gisau 2002 1.0
How to Use Multiple Monitors on One Windows XP Computer
QuizYourFriends.com
Power Defrag/Power Scandisk
Think Computers
NetSmartz
AllChars
Campbell Soups donates soup
Jones Soda Co
CCC     Waitallday
        Shut Down Windows

Gisau 2002 1.0 for
  http://www.ded.com/nonags/gmact.html
Win9x/NT4/Mill/Win2k (166 kb)
Attempt not to fall from the cloud, and take coins.
When you take a coin, a bullet sometimes appears, and you sometimes fly at
high speed.
You can submit your high score in WWW.
From; NONAGS free software

How to Use Multiple Monitors on One Windows XP Computer

A feature I used with Windows 2000 and now use with Windows XP is the
multiple monitor support feature. That's right! If you run out of desktop
space on a regular basis or if you always wished you had more room to open
browser windows, email windows, or anything else you might want open at the
same time, multiple monitors is what you need. In fact, you can run up to 10
monitors on a single Windows XP computer. While I can't see using 10
monitors at the same time, I run two monitors on my full-time workstation
and I'll tell you that it makes getting work and fun done a lot easier and
faster! If you think this is for you check this out:

Install the number of video cards you need for the number of monitors you
want to run. Most computers come with a built-in monitor port, so you only
need to add video cards for the extra monitors you want to add.
Turn on the computer. The monitor that is set as the primary VGA adapter
will show the startup screen. During startup, Windows XP will detect the new
video card and monitor.
Right click anywhere on the desktop and click Properties. Click on the
Settings tab. You'll see squares that have the numbers "1" and "2" (and more
if you have more than two video cards plugged into the computer). Click on
the Identify button to tell which monitor Windows XP is calling which. The
number will appear on screen. Click on the box that represents the monitor
you want to be your main monitor and then put a checkmark in the Use this
device as the primary monitor. Next, click on the box for the other monitor.
Put a checkmark in the checkbox for Extend my Windows desktop onto this
monitor.
Click Apply and then OK.
If you work with your Windows XP computer a lot, this is something you
really should look into. If your desk will handle a second monitor, get
yourself a nice 17 or 19 inch monitor for your secondary display. If you
have any problems with the setup, check out Debi's article on multiple
monitors (she set up THREE monitors on her XP) over at:
http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=021008HT-Multiple_Monitors

From: WinXPnews? E-Zine
http://www.winxpnews.com/?id=46

QuizYourFriends.com
http://www02.quizyourfriends.com/pcreate.html
Put Your Friends to the Test
with QuizYourFriends.com
>> Create a Quiz Now! <<

FEATURES:
Create a quiz!
Send it to all your friends!
See what they got right and wrong!
See high scores on your scoreboard!
++

Power Defrag/Power Scandisk
http://www.zdnetindia.com/downloads/info/4964717.html
 Power Defrag optimizes the operation of the Windows 95/98/Me Defrag applet.
Defrag will run more efficiently and faster, and most common defrag-related
Windows 98 crashes will be avoided. Power Defrag 2.00 Pro includes similar
functionality for the Scandisk tool and an interface to the Microsoft
Registry maintenence tools.
Note: The Power Scandisk and Registry Maintenance functions are disabled in
the unregistered version; registration costs $20.

Think Computers
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/
If you are into modifying the look and feel of your computer, then
thinkcomputers.org is the Web site for you. You can read reviews on LED fans
or the Antec 830 case. If you are new to case modification, then you will
appreciate the guide section where you can learn how to put in a case window
or round your own IDE cables. You may not be able to find everything you
need in the guide, but then again, that is what the forums are for! There,
you can ask those missing questions or learn about the latest LAN party. If
you don't want to modify your computer, that is OK - that doesn't mean that
you can't browse through the Case Gallery and check out other people's
modifications.

NetSmartz
http://www.netsmartz.org
Online resource with interactive activites and games teaching children,
teens, parents & educators safety on the Internet.
Fun safe internet links for kids to Learn about Wizzywigs, Webville outlaws,
and internet safety rules.
Teaching children what to watch out for when surfing the internet with fun
and interactive games.
AllChars ~ free
http://allchars.zwolnet.com/introduction.html
AllChars works with Win 3.11, 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0, 2000 and XP.
AllChars provides a quick, easy-to-remember way of creating accents like é
Ü ç î æ and special characters like ? ² ? © £ ± ß °
1/2 ¿ « » ? ? in most Windows programs.

AllChars v3.5 upwards supports macros: type a (short) name and AllChars will
replace it with a (long) text.

AllChars is very easy and intuitive in usage and it is possible to adapt it
to your wishes.

Campbell Soups donates soup
http://www.chunky.com/click_for_cans.asp
It's back again. Packer fans ruled last year, having twice as many
cans as the 2nd place team.  Pass this on. Campbells is
donating a can of soup (up to 5 million) to area food banks just by
clicking on a helmet at their website.
It's quick, easy and can be done once a day.
Submitted by: Pam

Welcome to Jones Soda Co. website where you can send us your photo and we
could put it on a label.
http://www.jonessoda.com/

This is a fun site with lots if interesting options.

We all like stuff that is free right?!
Well, the good folks from GFS have just the ticket (or sticker in this
case!)
Check them out today!

Check out what it takes to get YOUR picture on a bottle of Jones from the
press sheets of selected labels.
The labels change monthly so keep on coming back to check!

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Waitallday
1) Go to this link:
http://www.waitallday.com

2) Make sure that you read what comes up in your status bar at
the
bottom of your browser while you're waiting for the page to load

(ok yes we were bored when we happened upon this site <g>)

~~~~~~~

Shut Down Windows
These two buttons shut down Windows with ease.

The keyboard shortcut to close open windows or Windows itself is
ALT + F4.

Shut down Windows Click on the desktop and press ALT + F4 at the
same time. This will bring up a dialog box asking if you'd like
to Stand by, Shut down, Restart, or Restart in MS-DOS mode. Chose
one and press OK.
Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~