[methmins] Re Preaching and leading worship

  • From: "NEIL BISHOP" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("neil144")
  • To: methmins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:55:37 +0100 (BST)

Ann said, "Kindly explain “the very low bar that ministers have to get over."
Unfortunately, Ann, having a theology degree isn't the same as being a competent preacher. They are different skills. And you are forgetting that ministers don't necessarily have a theology degree because this isn't considered an essential qualification, nor should it be.
So what training do ministers receive in preaching? Everyone who offers for presbyteral ministry has to complete the Local Preachers' training, but this thread started with complaints that there is no bar in practice to someone sufficiently determined to become a local preacher.
There are two trial services as part of the candidating process but at least one of those now happens in your own circuit where people are predisposed to support you. In any case the reports often tell you as much about the person compiling them, and their own level of competence, as they do about the preacher.
While I was in training the tutors reported on my services once or twice each year. There was probably a report from each of my placements, but again they are only as useful as the person writing the report.
I attended a series of preaching workshops in college which were very good, but they assumed a basic level of competence and they were more about heremeutics than about how to develop good illustrations from personal experience and events.
So all told I think ministers are in no place to criticise local preachers. Everyone in your churches knows or has known some ministers, whether in the active work or retired, who were or are less able preachers than the more accomplished local preachers in the circuit.
Neil Bishop