[meego-network-fi] Thank you all for your efforts, but webdevs are needed

  • From: Jarkko Moilanen <jarkko.moilanen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meego-network-fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 09:08:40 +0200

Hi,

Several community members have contributed a lot to our joint effort, MeeGo
Summit FI. I can't name them all, but to name a few: matrixx, Jarrrgh,
sandst1, Ans5i, smoinen, cybette, ninnnu, timoph and jukka (sorry for not
listing all, but your efforts are highly valuable). The level of commitment
is great. Nevertheless, we seem to lack people involved in Summit pages and
portal development. This is partly because Summit pages have been developed
by Heikki (paid staff in Hermia) and portal development hasn't even started
yet.

This will - or need to - change now. From this moment onwards, Heikki will
do just bug fixing in the Summit pages and his role in portal development in
close to non-existing. Therefore we need a few web developers (Drupal
platform) to continue Summit pages development (in small scale) and to begin
portal development. If such commitment is not found, we will not have
portal. This is not meant as extortion, but as a statement of the situation.
Again, I'm asking a lot from the community, but there is no alternative. We
need to take responsibility of the web development to gain indepedence from
Hermia and meetup.com.

A few of us have started to define what the portal could be:
http://wiki.meego.com/Local_MeeGo_Networks/MeeGo_Network_Finland/Meeting_Agenda_2011_02_06#Community_Portal
.

Even though some kind of initial requirement document has been started, it
is just a suggestion. What I would like to see, is that this community
defines what our portal includes and how it works. This requires that more
members get involved both in defining the initial structure and in the
implementation. We can start the discussion on this mailing list and
continue it in more appropriate forum later.

To get things started, idea is to create initial portal which includes only
two items:
-  Basic info about MNFI and
- forum for discussions. (requirements discussion could take place here)

The above can be done in one day. Heikki has offered to do that. Community
side: in the portal related development, we currently have ninnnu, who is
responsible/maintainer of our server. We can't expect her to implement the
portal alone, do we?

--
Community Manager (MNFI, Meego Network Finland)

More info: http://meegonetwork.fi
Discussions: irc.freenode.net#meego-fi
http://meego.ajatukseni.net/