[meego-network-fi] Re: Thank you all for your efforts, but webdevs are needed

  • From: Ilkka Laukkanen <ilkka.s.laukkanen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meego-network-fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 11:00:19 +0200

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Jarkko Moilanen
<jarkko.moilanen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This will - or need to - change now. From this moment onwards, Heikki will
> do just bug fixing in the Summit pages and his role in portal development in
> close to non-existing. Therefore we need a few web developers (Drupal
> platform) to continue Summit pages development (in small scale) and to begin
> portal development. If such commitment is not found, we will not have
> portal. This is not meant as extortion, but as a statement of the situation.
> Again, I'm asking a lot from the community, but there is no alternative. We
> need to take responsibility of the web development to gain indepedence from
> Hermia and meetup.com.

Here's me, announcing my willingness to pitch in --> \o/

I've written a bunch of webapps for a bunch of purposes, some of them
even in PHP. I don't have any professional experience though, and
haven't coded in PHP in years. I also have never extended or
customized Drupal, I've just set it up a few times out of personal
interest. I'm ready, willing and able, though :)

What I unfortunately am *not* ready to do is offer myself as a lead
for portal development -- unfortunately I don't believe I have the
time right now. I'm an extra pair of agile fingers who could spare a
few hours a week to do what he can for the community.

> A few of us have started to define what the portal could be:
> http://wiki.meego.com/Local_MeeGo_Networks/MeeGo_Network_Finland/Meeting_Agenda_2011_02_06#Community_Portal.
> Even though some kind of initial requirement document has been started, it
> is just a suggestion. What I would like to see, is that this community
> defines what our portal includes and how it works. This requires that more
> members get involved both in defining the initial structure and in the
> implementation. We can start the discussion on this mailing list and
> continue it in more appropriate forum later.

A place for meeting minutes for MNFI specific meetings could be nice.
Maybe just mirrored from where the #meego-meeting bot currently
stashes 'em?

Some sort of task management system could also be good to have. There
could be stuff there that's just waiting for someone from the
community to go ahead and do it, and it would be a single centralized
place to see what's up with what. Portal improvement suggestions could
also go there.

--
Ilkka
github.com/ilkka