[meego-fi] Re: Requesting help with a small scripting task for Summit preparations

  • From: Jarkko Kniivilä <jkniiv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meego-network-fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 18:42:24 +0300

Moi,

I'm willing to try. I hav a four-port hub, so I can try to script with that.
Hopefully I will hav a version ready by the next volunteer meeting (Apr 11)
so we can test it with the 10-port one (which based on the lsusb-output you
provided seems to hav a four-port and a seven-port one chained together).

I think we need the copying to be spawned into background and include some
logging so I think we should employ DJB daemontools[1] or Gerrit Pape's
runit[2], whichever happens to be more convenient. Copying itself could be
via rsync or unison as to be the most robust possible. Finally I would write
the udev script in python or perl.

Btw, I hope the hub has an external power supply as the USB 2.0 default
ampeerage of 500mA is probably not enuff for 10 usb sticks to be pounded
simultaneously. :)

Cheers,

  // Jarkko Kn. aka 'jibun'

[1] http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html
[2] http://smarden.org/runit/

--
Jarkko Kniivilä  < jibun | jkniiv >
FIN-13100 HÄMEENLINNA

"Panta rhei kai oumen menei" -- Herakleitos