[MEBC-Butterfly] MEBC news and dates

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BUTTERFLY NET <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BUTTERNUTS <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:40:09 -0400

The Mountain Empire Butterfly Club has gone through a bit of a metamorphasis.
It is still active as a listserv (butterfly-net) and is associated with ongoing
activities such as butterfly counts and naturalist rallies.

The Roan Mountain Butterfly Count is scheduled for Saturday July 17th. Meet at
the Roan Mountain State Park Visitors Center at 10:00 am. Don Holt is the
leader.

A butterfly walk is scheduled at Steele Creek Park on Saturday July 24th. Meet
at the Nature Center at 1:00 pm. I will lead the walk. The Herbarium Project
will also meet at the Nature Center earlier that morning at 10:00 am. You may
want to check this out as well. It's very informative and a lot of fun.

I will present a Moth Program at Steele Creek Park on Friday, Aug 27th. I will
show a power point presentation on moths of the area and we will check out the
moth sheet after the program to see what kind of critters we can attract.

There will be at least one butterfly walk at the Roan Mountain Naturalist Rally
on Saturday and or Sunday, Sep 11-12. More information on this will be
available soon.

We could do with more activities. It is the time of year. If you would like to
plan a club event let me know.

Don't forget to post your sightings on butterfly-net. I've been so focused on
moths I almost forget what a butterfly looks like. Don't feel like you have to
be some sort of expert to post. This is for everyone who shares an interst.
Where are our photographers?

So get out there and finds some bugs and share it with the rest of us.

Larry McDaniel

Hotmail.