[mea] Re: Saturday workshop

  • From: "Frazer, Cheri" <Cheri.Frazer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:46:31 -0500

The workshop was fabulous and instantly helpful in my work. I told Leslie
that if she wanted to set up a Part 2 I'd be in like a dirty shirt.

One of the most helpful parts was a form called a "project charter." It's a
one-page document in which you define the title, purpose, need, expected
results, assumptions, and roles in a project. Just that simple step has
clarified some really murky projects I've been working on and has brought to
light some assumptions people were making that were causing all sorts of
grief.

It's interesting that the project charter outlines many of the things I used
to include in my freelance contracts but it's never occurred to me to
outline them in my in-house work. I've always felt that it wasn't my place
to ask those questions, that someone above me surely knew the answers.
Wrong!

The venue (Fort Gibraltar) was beautiful and Leslie was very helpful. She
encouraged real life questions and examples and also made suggestions on how
to handle some of our project problems at work. The day just flew by.

Cheri