[mea] when not to get rid of "that"

  • From: "Frazer, Cheri" <Cheri.Frazer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:00:25 -0500

My turn!

I'm looking over a manual that's been reviewed by a junior editor. He has
removed almost every "that" and I'm wondering if anyone has guidelines on
when it's *not* ok to remove them. I'm all for streamlining a sentence, but
in some cases I think it throws off the rhythm. Here's a sample from a case
study:

"After analyzing the clients' current financial situation and their savings
strategies, you have come to the conclusion [that] they will benefit from
some sound financial advice."

I don't like removing the "that" in this case because it throws off the
rhythm of the sentence. Am I alone here? Is there a term for the way "that"
functions in this sentence so [that] I can look it up?

Cheri Frazer
Editor, Technical Communications department
EISI
900 - 125 Garry St.
Winnipeg, MB R3C 3P2

Tel: 204-943-3474 ext. 3337