[mdmars_members] Re: Transcon,

  • From: J Sears <aat3ok@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:23:37 -0800 (PST)

SORRY.. that should have been AAR3FK

--- On Sun, 1/25/09, J Sears <aat3ok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: J Sears <aat3ok@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [mdmars_members] Transcon,
To: "AIG-2" <mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "AAA3RD" <tdz123@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 10:15 PM

THIS IS PRIMARILY INTENDED FOR AAR3CK BUT I FEEL THERE IS SOME GOOD INFO IN
HERE FOR EVERYONE.

Scott,

   The assistant net manager for TRANSCON is a friend of mine.. he used to live
here in MD.  I had a long discussion with him regarding your problem.  Of
course you probably picked the worst day to do this.... but IMHO it should
still never have happend.

Saturday is a special day for them, it is an admin net but more than that.. it
is a space net.  This is net used to be self sufficient.. on different freqs
and all but several years ago was rolled into TRANSCON due to the lack of
stations to run the nets. Its sole function is to provide support for Shuttle
launches and landings (in fact it is a great way to participate in the space
program all are welcome, more about this later)

Anyhow George told me that they only do Priority traffic during these nets.  I
explained that Chief Army MARS wants us to interoperate with TRANSCON more and
he was interested in promoting "JOINTNESS"  he got real quiet on the other end
of the phone and after a moment said something like yea so he can control
everything.  I kinda thought this was inappropriate but hey whatever.

Evidently this attitude is pervasive in the other services becasue I have
gotten this kind of answer several times in the past from the other two
services.  This is why I made an effort to let AF use our DC repeater.. to try
to smooth things like that over a bit.

It is my belief that unless we have true JOINTNESS we as MARS will fail !!
Ever wonder why we did not get a prime mission for the Inauguration?
Supporting DHS and DOD/National Guard.  I do..... and I believe that we will
only be seen as "WANTABE'S"  until we get our act together.

Still I do not believe they should ever turn down traffic and I relayed this to
George this evening.  So my comment is ... if you have traffic and that is the
best way to pass it.. go for it.   Maybe one day they will get the message.

The RD believes that IF these guys dont want to interoperate with us .. then so
be it.. we should not try to force the issue.  I on  the other hand feel like
these are government frequencies.  If you don't want to do the job then you
should not be in MARS.. just leave.  On the other hand if you stay ... well you
should be EXPECTED to carry out the mission. The heads of the MARS
organizations should see to it that we do carry out the missions. And we need
to let them know when things are not working.  For this reason I am going to
try to go to Dayton this year and if I do I will approach Stu, Bo and AL about
this problem.

Ok for you guys that want to participate in the space program.. if you check in
to TRANSCON about a half hour before launch.. or just listen to the frequency..
you will get LIVE AIR TO GROUND during these events.

All have a great evening.. keep up the good work Scott.