[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1739

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:16:33 -0700

There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: BloodHound Virus
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: BloodHound Virus
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:31:56 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

What about telemarketers? hehe

Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Estavi,

.....some probably should rate only slighly below used car salesmen
on the Don't Trust These Guys scale. :-)

Jim

Message: 2
   Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:48:24 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: BloodHound Virus

MW, is SmitFraudFix the same as Smitrem?

Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Sean--this link free Smitfraud was posted in the PC Tech room after I
posted yours.

http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/

MW

Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Info on Bloodhound virus:
http://tinyurl.com/lajq6
This might work for you:
http://tinyurl.com/r9z7l

Update your antivirus, your antispyware and scan your drive(s) in Safe Mode.

Delete your temporary files. Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet
Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache {if you use FireFox}
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

Double Click My Computer (WinXP: Navigate to Start>My Computer)
You will see an icon representing your harddrive (most likely C: Drive)
Right Click on the hard drive icon and click Properties at the bottom of
the fly out window. One the very first tab (General) you will see a button
labeled "Disk Cleanup". Click that button. Make sure the following are
checked:

Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files
  and
  Recycle Bin

Click OK and Disk Cleanup will delete those files for you. If you cannot do
this, then boot into "safe mode" and try it.
Reboot.

As far as getting rid of the spyware that is controlling your start page,
you might might be infected with one of the CWS spywares, try running
CWShredder. It's free:

Also, you could check these 4 locations in your registry for suspicious
items. What's a suspicious item, you ask. Anything that looks suspicious? :)
These are programs that start when Windows is started. When you boot.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

You can also try installing & running SmitFraudFix and AboutBuster
For info on AboutBuster: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
For info on SmitFraudFix: http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php
As usual, run them in Safe Mode.

Paul Ross wrote:
Hi, Does anyone have any info on "Bloodhound" Virus? For about a week
now, my PC appears to be infected with malware which is constantly taking
me to a website where I am told that my computer may be infected yada,
yada, yada .. "Just click here and solve all your problems" Yah Right!!
Thanks in advance for any info on how to get rid of this headache. Paul

Message: 3
   Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 02:57:53 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

it looks like it might be but I can't be sure but I did notice that the
link or one similar that you posted is actually a mirror on the site I
posted as I read it more.

  One person in the room ran the fix and was unable to interpret the log
generated. Sunny who is a hijack this expert like yourself was in the room
but not listening so we have not had his expertise on the program yet.

  I have downloaded it but not run it yet. we got into other discussions --
what a surprise

  I'll try to get to it.

  Oh, the one chap said his Nod 32 balked at the process.exe

wrote:
Sean--this link free Smitfraud was posted in the PC Tech room after I
posted yours.

http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/

MW

 see the Yahoo home page