[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1716

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:42:48 -0700

There are 10 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Free DVD Decoder
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: Missy <missy31_2001@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Problem with enabling/choosing a default program in Windows XP Pro
           From: Reuven <groups@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:01:58 +1200
   From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Networked PC's & Net Connections.

Hi

1st Pc is connected to the net directly.(using ZoneAlarm firewall)
2nd Pc - networked - has access via the 1st Pc to the net..

Using the net on the 2nd Pc, we often get the message :-

"Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at (website)."

however - a few minutes later - the same website is able to be found.

- Even if we have been using a site for a while - it 'shuts down' &
cannot be found - but wait a few minutes & the browser can find it
again....

(This even occurs with well-known sites like Google)....

Ps.. on the 2nd PC, its impossible to go to http://www.gmail.com/ (ive
never had it going..)
however if we go to google.com & search for gmail - we can access it....

Is there anything that ZoneAlarm is doing ? or do we just put up with it ?

Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
NZ community groups - community@xxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 2
   Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 17:31:41 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Free DVD Decoder

  Question posted in another group:
Is there a standalone DVD codec that will allow WMP to play DVDs without
having a program like WinDVD etc installed? Is there such a thing as a free
DVD decoder?

  My RESPONSE:
  First, the caveat.
  CAVEAT: Several of my suggestions below require installing software or
codecs. All the usual/normal warnings apply (eg: set a new system restore
point before loading or installing etc). If your PC can currently play DVD
movies then any of the suggestions below does not apply to you. Fair
warning!

DVD decoder is the MPEG2 decoder or DVD player in common parlance.
Installing any DVD player will install the codecs then Windows Media Player
becomes a DVD player as well. WinXP includes a DVD Navigator -- not a
Decoder. You can purchase decoders from Intervideo, Ravisent and Cyberlink
for U$15. But there are some free alternatives. One of the best combination
I've found is Media Player Classic plus the Mpeg codec (link below).

Media Player Classic
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358
FREEWARE

Mpeg codec
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/146-p1.php
FREEWARE
If somebody posts an mpg or mpeg file that they say is an SVCD or Super
Video CD then you'll need this codec if you'd like to watch it on your
computer without burning it to a CD. This is the MPG2 codec. After
installing this all programs like Winamp or Media Player will be able to
properly play these videos.

  What is a DVD Decoder?
http://www.pchell.com/support/dvddecoder.shtml
Although there isnt a standalone DVD decoder that is free, there is a free
solution. VLC is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and
video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as
DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a
server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a
high-bandwidth network.
  The VLC media player <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/> does not need a
decoder to play DVDs, so its the best free solution for using a computer
DVD player with no DVD decoder software.

VLC
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
FREEWARE
This is the link to VideoLAN Client or VLC for short. It will play pretty
much any audio/video file available even if the file is not complete or is
missing parts. It also plays VCDs and DVDs and is available for many OS's.
And that's just the start. I found VideoLAN to work well and it's free. Not
a lot of bells and whistles, but it plays DVD movies. It is also open
source and there is no spyware, adware or any other crap bundled with it.

Here's a free DVD plug-in for Windows Media player that will allow DVDs to
be played on your PC:
ftp://iseb2.surgi.dote.hu/Microsoft/XP/DVDPack/DVDPack.msi
The above link will prompt you if you want to allow access to the FTP.
Respond with Allow or YES. Then download it. Make sure you scan it for
viruses or spyware. It should install into Windows Media Player and allow
you to use that to play DVD's on your computer. Download it now before it
completely disappears!

You can also try this:
Download the middle one
http://www.dvd-x-player.com/download.html

Also, try putting some commercial DVDs in your PC's DVD drive. A lot of
them come with free players for your PC and the software will prompt you to
install the packaged software. Inter Actual Player comes to mind. The only
problem is some of them do come packaged with spyware or adware.

  KLite Codec Pack
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm
FREEWARE
K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools. The K-Lite
Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly solution for playing all your
movie files. Codecs are required to encode and/or decode (play) audio and
video. With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play 99% of all the
movies that you download from the internet. It it always up-to-date with
the latest versions of the codecs. There are three versions of the K-Lite
Codec Pack: Basic, Standard and Full.

Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility
http://shorterlink.com/?GA30I5
FREEWARE
The Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility helps you determine if an
MPEG-2 video decoder (also called a DVD decoder) is installed on your
Windows XP computer and whether or not the decoder is compatible with
Windows Media Player 10 and Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Some advice here on how to get the codecs installed onto Windows Media
Player:
http://tinyurl.com/gnqfs

DVD Playback in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/bridgman02april15.mspx

For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
  MCH FORUMS (free registration)
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary
security deserve neither liberty nor security.

Message: 3
   Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 17:19:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Missy <missy31_2001@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.

If you shutdown ZA do the pages load and stay
connected? If not it isn't ZA. If it does work, go
into the logs and alerts and clear the logs. Then open
the page and check the logs. When it fails or crashes
check them again and see what if any differences there
are. I use ZA and have no issues like you explain but
it does take some tinkering sometimes. You might also
be getting some errors written the the Event viewer
that might point to something.

Mis

--- Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> 1st Pc is connected to the net directly.(using
> ZoneAlarm firewall)
> 2nd Pc - networked - has access via the 1st Pc to
> the net..
>

> Using the net on the 2nd Pc, we often get the
> message :-
>
> "Server not found
> Firefox can't find the server at (website)."
>
> however - a few minutes later - the same website is
> able to be found.
>
> - Even if we have been using a site for a while - it
> 'shuts down' &
> cannot be found - but wait a few minutes & the
> browser can find it
> again....
>
> (This even occurs with well-known sites like
> Google)....
>
> Ps.. on the 2nd PC, its impossible to go to
> http://www.gmail.com/ (ive
> never had it going..)
> however if we go to google.com & search for gmail -
> we can access it....
>
> Is there anything that ZoneAlarm is doing ? or do we
> just put up with it ?
>

> --
> Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
> http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
> NZ community groups - community@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 4
   Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 17:54:48 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

This sounds like a DNS issue. On the 2nd machine.. go to the command
prompt.. and type:
  ipconfig /flushdns
...then hit Enter..
Then reboot.

[...]

Message: 5
   Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 20:04:57 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gordon,
It sounds like you are not running the latest version of Firefox --
v1.5.0.1.

I saw this error often with 1.5.0, even with a PC running through a
router, and haven't seen it at all with 1.5.0.1 (knock on wood!).

Terry

--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA

Message: 6
   Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:08:31 +1200
   From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>

On 4/9/06, Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gordon,
> It sounds like you are not running the latest version of Firefox --
v1.5.0.1.

> I saw this error often with 1.5.0, even with a PC running through a
> router, and haven't seen it at all with 1.5.0.1 (knock on wood!).
>
> Terry

Ok - Hmm - im using the latest version, I only d/loaded it a few weeks
ago......

Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
NZ community groups - community@xxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 7
   Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:05:33 +1200
   From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>

On 4/9/06, Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This sounds like a DNS issue. On the 2nd machine.. go to the command
prompt.. and type:
>   ipconfig /flushdns
> ...then hit Enter..
> Then reboot.

Thanks....

That seems to be the trick (I got into Gmail straight away - no probs)
- I'll wait about 30 or so mins - see if more issues...)..

PS - you say to use that command - THEN reboot...

Is it possible to put that in the autoexec.bat routine - before the
windows starts-up ?

or wouldnt that work ?

Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
NZ community groups - community@xxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 8
   Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:27:55 +1200
   From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>

On 4/9/06, Missy <missy31_2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you shutdown ZA do the pages load and stay
> connected? If not it isn't ZA. If it does work, go
> into the logs and alerts and clear the logs. Then open
> the page and check the logs. When it fails or crashes
> check them again and see what if any differences there
> are. I use ZA and have no issues like you explain but
> it does take some tinkering sometimes. You might also
> be getting some errors written the the Event viewer
> that might point to something.

Tonight when the other PC is free / not used - I'll test the ZoneAlarm
thing ..
(its been used for some internet game thing - cant run on this PC so
they use mine..)

I like this PC better - Less chances of errors / automatic reboots &
blue error screens....

Ive tried that reboot command - & it seems to help - but im still
getting 'some' of the same problems.. - websites not coming up..)

Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
NZ community groups - community@xxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 9
   Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:46:18 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Sure you can! :)

Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  On 4/9/06, Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This sounds like a DNS issue. On the 2nd machine.. go to the command
prompt.. and type:
>   ipconfig /flushdns
> ...then hit Enter..
> Then reboot.

Thanks....

That seems to be the trick (I got into Gmail straight away - no probs) -
I'll wait about 30 or so mins - see if more issues...)..

PS - you say to use that command - THEN reboot...

Is it possible to put that in the autoexec.bat routine - before thewindows
starts-up ?

or wouldnt that work ?

For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
  MCH FORUMS (free registration)
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary
security deserve neither liberty nor security.

Message: 10
   Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:08:13 -0400
   From: Reuven <groups@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Problem with enabling/choosing a default program in Windows XP Pro

I tried today to choose Mozilla Thunderbird as my default email client.
I went to Start>Set Program Access and Defaults>Custom and choose
Thunderbird (also Enabled it by checking the box).

It doesn't work. When I followed the same procedure I noticed that
Thunderbird in NOT Enabled and NOT the default program, even though I
just selected it a minute ago.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks,

Reuven