[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1385

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:13:20 -0700

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. XP: System Restore Not Working
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. ***** Can I run/setup WinXP Pro on INTEL L440GX+ Server
           From: "xboomerx" <boomer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: New Memory Stumped
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. windows 2000 problem
           From: Rajesh <grajesh.com@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: windows 2000 problem
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: ***** Can I run/setup WinXP Pro on INTEL L440GX+ Server
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Re: New Memory Stumped
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. New MS Security Toolkit
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Where can I get a GOOD printer ???
           From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: Where can I get a GOOD printer ???
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: Where can I get a GOOD printer ???
           From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Where can I get a GOOD printer ???
           From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Where can I get a GOOD printer ???
           From: John82654@xxxxxxx
     14. Re: Where can I get a GOOD printer ???
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. WinXP: System Restore not creating System Checkpoints
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Computer news
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. any ideas about a good LCD monitor? (preferably 19 inch or more
thanks  Q;o)
           From: "Smacko" <smacko9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: any ideas about a good LCD monitor? (preferably 19 inch or
more    thanks  Q;o)
           From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
     19. Re: any ideas about a good LCD monitor? (preferably 19 inch or
more    thanks  Q;o)
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
     20. Re: New MS Security Toolkit
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
     21. Re: New MS Security Toolkit
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     22. Re: New MS Security Toolkit
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
     23. Re: any ideas about a good LCD monitor? (preferably 19  inch or
more    thanks  Q;o)
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     24. Re: New MS Security Toolkit
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     25. Re: Incredimail
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 08:33:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: XP: System Restore Not Working

I have lots of suggestions but are you saying that the Task Scheduler is
disabled? It should be enabled. To check, click Start>Run>type
services.msc>hit Enter>look for Task Scheduler in the list and make sure it
is set to Automatic under the Startup Type column. If it is not, rightclick
Task Scheduler, choose Properties>General tab>set Startup Type to
Automatic>click OK. You might have to reboot. Then test the system.

A question for you: can you manually create a restore point? Can you
populate the System Restore Calendar?

Before I bombard you with suggestions, please answer the above first then I
will proceed when necessary.

"Sue~Web designer & Hosting at www.web-designing.org"  wrote:
Rich, I went to the advance in the Task Scheduler and it already had Stop
Using . And as I told Barry, I also turned off the system restore and then
turned it back on and still nothing.

Sue

   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:56:18 -0000
   From: "xboomerx" <boomer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ***** Can I run/setup WinXP Pro on INTEL L440GX+ Server

Can I run and setup Windows XP Pro
on my INTEL L440GX+ Server MOTHERBOARD system?
I am now running Windows 2000 Pro.
The system has a
Adaptec ARRAY1000 (ARO 1130U2) raid Controller.
I can only find Windows 2000 drivers.
Is there any Windows XP drivers for this system?

I purchased NORITECH server with the following
INTEL L440GX+ SERVER MOTHERBOARD
DUAL Pentium III 850MHZ SLOT1 cpu
Integrated Adaptec 7896 ScSI Controller
Adaptec ARRAY1000 -  ARO 1130U2
4 SLOTS FOR MEMORY - 512MB ECC SDRAM PC100
2 SCSI ADAPTER
5 PCI SLOTS
1 ISA SLOTS
Two(3) 18GB SCSI IBM ULTRASTAR HARD DRIVE(s)

Thank You
Bob Whitman
xboomerx@xxxxxxxxx

Message: 3
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 06:00:12 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Memory Stumped

The better memory only cost----get this a whopping 15.00 more than the=
 junk.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:

How much did it cost him to get the additional memory? Ask him if it was
worth all the aggravation...hehe. Tell him he already saved a lot by you
not charging him. That could have been an additional $150. Tell him to give
you a nice Christmas gift.

Message: 4
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:16:28 +0530
   From: Rajesh <grajesh.com@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: windows 2000 problem

Hi all

 I am using windows 2000 and Xp . at first i installed 2000 then xp. it's
working good. afterwards i have to re install xp . then wards when i start
2000 it starts well after windows explorer is not coming. I can open task
manager and with that i can run programs like winamp and all. and no
desktop
is there. no rightclick. no start menu. Plz. help me.
  Thanks

--
Rajesh Kumar Grandhi
9848669679

Message: 5
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:07:27 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: windows 2000 problem

You said, "afterwards i have to re install xp."

Why did you do that? Were you having any problems and if so, what symptoms
or signs of the problems were you getting. If you are getting error
messages, copy the exact word-for-word error message and post it here.

You said, "when i start 2000 it starts well after windows explorer is not
coming."

I do not exactly understand what you are trying to say here but let me
rephrase it for you and tell me if I am interpreting what you said right or
not:
Are you saying that when you launch Win2000, Windows Explorer won't open
when you try to open it?

You also said, "no desktop is there. no rightclick. no start menu."

Are you saying that there are no icons on your desktop and all you have is
an empty desktop?
No rightclick menu either when you rightclick any files?
And no Start menu when you click the Start button?
Is that exactly your situation? Are all of these happening only in Win2000
or both Win2000 and XP?
Is your XP working normally?

Rajesh <grajesh.com@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all

I am using windows 2000 and Xp . at first i installed 2000 then xp. it's
working good. afterwards i have to re install xp . then afterwards when i
start 2000 it starts well after windows explorer is not coming. I can open
task manager and with that i can run programs like winamp and all. and no
desktop is there. no rightclick. no start menu. Plz. help me.
  Thanks

--
Rajesh Kumar Grandhi
9848669679
guntur

Message: 6
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ***** Can I run/setup WinXP Pro on INTEL L440GX+ Server

There may not be any good news for you after looking at this site:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/supporteditorial.jsp?prodkey=3DWind=
ows_XP_Support
It seems that there are no plans to create an XP version for your RAID
controller anytime soon.

xboomerx <boomer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Can I run and setup Windows XP Pro on
my INTEL L440GX+ Server MOTHERBOARD system?
I am now running Windows 2000 Pro. The system has a Adaptec ARRAY1000 (ARO
1130U2) raid Controller.
I can only find Windows 2000 drivers. Is there any Windows XP drivers for
this system?

I purchased NORITECH server with the following INTEL L440GX+ SERVER
MOTHERBOARD DUAL Pentium III 850MHZ SLOT1 cpu Integrated Adaptec 7896 ScSI
Controller Adaptec ARRAY1000 -  ARO 1130U2
4 SLOTS FOR MEMORY - 512MB ECC SDRAM PC100
2 SCSI ADAPTER
5 PCI SLOTS
1 ISA SLOTS
Two(3) 18GB SCSI IBM ULTRASTAR HARD DRIVE(s)

Thank You
Bob Whitman
xboomerx@xxxxxxxxx

Message: 7
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:59:59 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: New Memory Stumped

It is not even  worth all that aggravation. Sheesh!!

<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:

How much did it cost him to get the additional memory? Ask him if it was
worth all the aggravation...hehe. Tell him he already saved a lot by you
not charging him. That could have been an additional $150. Tell him to give
you a nice Christmas gift.

Message: 8
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:18:00 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New MS Security Toolkit

To MCH Forums members, read about the new Microsoft Security Toolkit here:
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showtopic=3D8&st=3D0&;

Message: 9
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:59:49 -0000
   From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Where can I get a GOOD printer ???

My Lexmark Z65P Inkjet printer malfunctioned last night.  I purchased
it on 1/11/03.  When I contacted Lexmark Support I was told by their
their support technician that my printer was finished ans I would have
to get another one.  I think that is what the non-English speaking tech
guy said.  I didn't speak Indian and he didn't speak much English.  I
just realized that this printer is about 2 years and 14 momths old.  I
remembered that I had not gotten 3 years out of any of my printers and
all had been Lexmarks.  Is it possible to get a printer that will last
longer than 3 years?  I would think that after me spending a small
fortune each year on ink refill cartridges that Lexmark would want to
keep me in a good ink-drinking printer.  Does have any suggestions for
a better result?  Disgusted Bobby

Message: 10
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:40:35 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Where can I get a GOOD printer ???

I feel your pain;
I have an HP photosmart that was working fine until I had to do a
complete system restoration to factory settings. Then it wouldn't
recognize that it was hoked to my computer through a good USB port, and,
to a power source. This no matter if I tried to do it manually, or,
through the printer's software (obtained through the HP web site.)After
a number of emails back and forth I gave up, and, installed a different
a printer, which works.

BOBBY wrote:

> My Lexmark Z65P Inkjet printer malfunctioned last night.  I purchased
> it on 1/11/03.  When I contacted Lexmark Support I was told by their
> their support technician that my printer was finished ans I would have
> to get another one.  I think that is what the non-English speaking tech
> guy said.  I didn't speak Indian and he didn't speak much English.  I
> just realized that this printer is about 2 years and 14 momths old.  I
> remembered that I had not gotten 3 years out of any of my printers and
> all had been Lexmarks.  Is it possible to get a printer that will last
> longer than 3 years?  I would think that after me spending a small
> fortune each year on ink refill cartridges that Lexmark would want to
> keep me in a good ink-drinking printer.  Does have any suggestions for
> a better result?  Disgusted Bobby
>

> =3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
> an email.=3D=3D=3D

e>

Bill Vollmer

Message: 11
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:43:45 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't know why you're disgusted; you've gotten good life out of the
printers you've had.  And color inkjets are designed to be ink suckers,
'cause that's where the money is.  Lexmark makes money selling you the
ink, not the printer.

If you want long life, get a black and white laser printer.  I've had
very good luck with older HP models.  They're not fast or fancy but
they're durable and they always seem to print.  The latest good printer
like that from HP is the model 1320, which goes for $299 after rebate.
There is also a networkable model, the 1320n.

For color prints, I've used HP with good results, although the printers
have been mostly used ones I've cleaned up, not purchased.  I just
bought a Canon Pixma i4000 for my wife and it has a feature that we have
looked for in other printers we've bought new and that is individual ink
tanks and a separate print head.  That way, if you run out of red (a
common occurance), you can just go and buy a red tank and replace it.
Each color and the small black tank are $11.95; the larger black tank is
$13.95.

When buying a printer, I never look at the cost of the printer, I look
at the cost of the ink and how it's divided up; single 3 color cartridge
or individual ink tanks.  Not throwing away good ink just because you've
run out of one color seems to be the way to go.  And so far, that Canon
has good print quality.

Tom

BOBBY wrote:
> My Lexmark Z65P Inkjet printer malfunctioned last night.  I purchased
> it on 1/11/03.  When I contacted Lexmark Support I was told by their
> their support technician that my printer was finished ans I would have
> to get another one.  I think that is what the non-English speaking tech
> guy said.  I didn't speak Indian and he didn't speak much English.  I
> just realized that this printer is about 2 years and 14 momths old.  I
> remembered that I had not gotten 3 years out of any of my printers and
> all had been Lexmarks.  Is it possible to get a printer that will last
> longer than 3 years?  I would think that after me spending a small
> fortune each year on ink refill cartridges that Lexmark would want to
> keep me in a good ink-drinking printer.  Does have any suggestions for
> a better result?  Disgusted Bobby

Message: 12
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:17:49 -0600
   From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I've never used Lexmark.

My HP2100 (B&W Laser) is still going strong.  I've lost track of when I
bought it, but I'm pretty sure it was more than 4 years ago.  For color, I
have a Minolta laser, but it's much newer and somewhat finicky.

Steve

At 10:59 PM 5/18/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>My Lexmark Z65P Inkjet printer malfunctioned last night.  I purchased
>it on 1/11/03.  When I contacted Lexmark Support I was told by their
>their support technician that my printer was finished ans I would have
>to get another one.  I think that is what the non-English speaking tech
>guy said.  I didn't speak Indian and he didn't speak much English.  I
>just realized that this printer is about 2 years and 14 momths old.  I
>remembered that I had not gotten 3 years out of any of my printers and
>all had been Lexmarks.  Is it possible to get a printer that will last
>longer than 3 years?  I would think that after me spending a small
>fortune each year on ink refill cartridges that Lexmark would want to
>keep me in a good ink-drinking printer.  Does have any suggestions for
>a better result?  Disgusted Bobby

Message: 13
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:57:33 EDT
   From: John82654@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 5/18/2005 4:48:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I don't  know why you're disgusted; you've gotten good life out of the
printers  you've had.  And color inkjets are designed to be ink suckers,
'cause  that's where the money is.  Lexmark makes money selling you the
ink,  not the printer.

Plus that Tom, Lexmark are one of the cheapest printers on the market., I
got two of them for free when I bought refurbished  computers.

Message: 14
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:33:36 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Bobby,
You could buy more expensive printers. You initial cost will be high but
then ink will not be that costly. You could buy a laser printer but I don't
know how long those lasts.
I am partial to Epson. They last, but they are by no means, cheap. Also,
they are the best for printing pictures and graphics. Depending on the
Epson model, you don't need a computer to print your pictures and you can
print pictures by just using film negatives but who uses films these days.
It seems like most people I know are just using digital cameras now. Also,
some of the Epson printers uses 6 cartridges but they do not cost $40 or
$50 each. I think they cost around $13 to $15 only. Also an advantage is
you don't have to replace all the cartridges when only one cartridge is low
on ink like some other printers. You can replace them singly. Of course it
all depends on the Epson model you buy so ask the salesman details of what
you are buying or read up on the model on the internet. Last Christmas, we
bought an Epson. The whole package cost us close to $500, including
supplies, I think. We bought an all-in-one. Not a lot of people are willing
to spend that much on a printer. I'm
 sure the cost of what we bought is much lower now.

Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I feel your pain; I have an HP photosmart that was working fine until I had
to do a complete system restoration to factory settings. Then it wouldn't
recognize that it was hoked to my computer through a good USB port, and, to
a power source. This no matter if I tried to do it manually, or, through
the printer's software (obtained through the HP web site.) After a number
of emails back and forth I gave up, and, installed a different a printer,
which works.

Bill Vollmer

BOBBY wrote:

My Lexmark Z65P Inkjet printer malfunctioned last night. When I contacted
Lexmark Support I was told by their their support technician that my
printer was finished ans I would have to get another one. I just realized
that this printer is about 2 years and 14 momths old. I remembered that I
had not gotten 3 years out of any of my printers and all had been Lexmarks.
Is it possible to get a printer that will last longer than 3 years?

 Disgusted

Bobby

Message: 15
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:24:59 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: WinXP: System Restore not creating System Checkpoints

Hey Rich, I'd like to add this to the MCH Forums Library if I can get your
permission. Here is my contribution to this thread:

PROBLEM: WinXP's System Restore is not creating System Checkpoints

In addition to what Rich suggested, here are a few other suggestions that
you might consider:

A.  Take a look at these MS articles:

Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D302796

System Restore FAQ:
http://shorterlink.com/?MTEFK9

Improper Shutdown May Affect System Restore
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z23712A1B

B.  SysRestorePoint.exe
Doug Knox
From: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_sysrestorepoint.htm
Platform supported: WinXP ONLY

Download link
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/SysRestorePoint.zip

Single Click Creation of a System Restore Point/Runs as a Scheduled Task

This is a small VB utility that will allow you to create a System Restore
Point, with no user intervention.

How to use:
Download and extract the contents to its own folder on your hard drive.
Create a shortcut to the SysRestorePoint.exe that you extracted. For easy
access, you can put the shortcut in your Start Menu, on your Desktop or
even your Quick Launch bar. To auto-run this utility at bootup, simply
place a shortcut here:
Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder
The RPs (restore points) created will be listed as "Automatic Restore
Point". If a Restore Point could NOT be created for some reason, you will
be notified.
C.  System Restore not creating automatic System Checkpoints on my machine?
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/checkpoints.htm

D.  Blank System Restore Calendar
Doug Knox
From: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_sysrestore_blank.htm
Freeware
Platform supported: WinXP ONLY
Requires VB6 Runtime Library (installed on XP by default).
This small GUI (Graphical User Interface) utility will check the Registry
associations that cause this problem, and notify you if they need to be
corrected. You will then have the opportunity to correct them, by clicking
the Repair button. This application is freeware.

Download link:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/SysRestoreCalendar.zip

Rich S <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Typical reasons why checkpoints are not being created:

=95 System Restore requires Task Scheduler to create system checkpoints. If
Task Scheduler is disabled it will prevent System Restore from creating
system checkpoints on a scheduled basis.

=95 System Restore requires the computer to be in an idle state to create
system checkpoints. This is by design so that System Restore does not
interrupt a user by taking processing power. If computer is never idle,
system checkpoints cannot be created. Also, check for any applications that
run on the computer during idle periods, such as a virus scanner.

=95 Another cause may be that the computer is in continual use for limited
periods and then shut down or put into hibernation, preventing System
Restore from creating restore points.

=95 Must have 400MB minimum set for cache.

There are many, many reasons why a System Restore may fail. For example,
see "Why are previous restore points not working?" in the "Troubleshooting"
section of this official Microsoft page:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.ms px

There's lots more on that page that's worth reading too. Note especially
the sections on "Does System Restore protect personal data files?" (the
short answer: no); "What should I do if System Restore does not work?";
"Why are my restore points missing or deleted?"; "Why does the System
Restore Wizard lockup?"; and so on. Just a few minutes on that page ought
to convince just about anyone that System Restore is not intended for
heavy-duty system protection!

More info:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinME/Q_20718080.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=3D=3Dsystem+restore+fail

Some people have never gotten Auto Restore Points to work on their
system.Some,like you,have had them stop working.It can be a real head
scratcher,and is sometimes debated long into the wee hours of the night.

To date,there is no definitive answer as to why this happens,not even from
Microsoft.They throw up a smokescreen of obfuscation with a thousand
possibilities,but no answer. Try all the suggestions mentioned in the links
listed above.Mabe you'll get lucky; Or mabe you'll have to manually make
one each day.(???)

Rich S

--- "Sue~Web designer & Hosting wrote:
I can do that and it shows the restore point on the calendar

Sue

   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 21:36:22 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Computer news

Portable Firefox
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Portable_Firefox/1100800989/1

Portable Firefox 1.0.4 RC2 is a fully functional package of Firefox
optimized for use on a USB key drive. It has some specially-selected
optimizations to make it perform faster and extend the life of your USB key
as well as a specialized launcher that will allow most of your favorite
extensions to work as you switch computers.

Netscape ready to launch antiphishing browser
From WinBeta

New Netscape 8 will alert surfers when they visit a site that's known to be
malicious.

Netscape is expected to release on Thursday the final version of Netscape
8, a Web browser, based on Firefox, designed to protect users against
online scams such as phishing.

Netscape has promised that the final version, like the previous ones, will
include features to better safeguard systems while people surf the Web.
Netscape 8 is also expected to have a cleaner look and feel, but not to be
dramatically different from the public beta released in March. Early test
versions of the new browser have already been available since February.

In the most recent test version, the Netscape 8 browser automatically
adjusts security settings based on a list of known malicious Web sites to
protect users from phishing scams. The blacklist of Web sites that are
suspected of hosting spyware or phishing schemes will be updated regularly,
Netscape has said.

When someone visits a Web site, red and green check marks in the browser
tab will show them whether the site is known to be dangerous or safe.

Are Phishing Holes Drying Up?
From WinBeta

 PC security software maker Webroot recently released its first annual
State of Spyware report, which reports on and analyzes trends in spyware.
So far, the numbers look promising. Overall spyware infections dropped 2
percent, and overall phishing activity is either holding or declining. This
may seems like good news, but when looking at the 'big picture', it is
little more than a drop in the bucket.

One Third of All Software in Use Still Pirated, Major Study Finds
From: http://bink.nu/Home.bink

PRNewswire/ -- Thirty-five percent of the software installed on personal
computers worldwide was pirated in 2004, a one percentage point decrease
from 36 percent in 2003.  Yet, losses due to piracy increased from $29
billion to $33 billion.

These are among key findings of a global software piracy study released
today by the Business Software Alliance (BSA), the international
association of the world's leading software developers.  The independent
study, which indicates that software piracy continues to be a major
challenge worldwide, was conducted by global technology research leader=
 IDC.

Microsoft to flash Windows ID cards
From: http://bink.nu/Home.bink
Microsoft is getting ready to provide an early peek at new Windows software
that aims to help consumers deal with the plethora of Internet logins.

The Redmond, Wash.-based software giant plans to release a technical
preview of the software, code-named InfoCard, by the end of May, Microsoft
said. It will also include other technologies designed to make using
digital identities easier and safer, Microsoft's senior executive in charge
of security, Mike Nash, said Tuesday.

Message: 17
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:14:53 -0700
   From: "Smacko" <smacko9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: any ideas about a good LCD monitor? (preferably 19 inch or more
thanks  Q;o)

any ideas about a good LCD monitor? (preferably 19 inch or more thanks Q;o)

Message: 18
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 21:56:19 -0700
   From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: any ideas about a good LCD monitor? (preferably 19 inch or
more    thanks  Q;o)

Hi Smacko,
I'm very happy with my new ViewSonic's N2750w ;
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcdtv/n2750w/

Experience the brilliant difference in high-definition video entertainment
from ViewSonic's N2750w high-performance 27" wide-screen LCD TV. With a
visually appealing, contemporary, slim design, the N2750w is ready to
deliver STUNNING HIGH-DEFINITION TELEVISION as well as enhanced and
standard television signals. Immerse yourself in the brilliant colors and
crisp images delivered by true 1280x720 resolution and high brightness and
contrast ratios. Multiple video and audio connections allow you to connect
HD set top boxes, DVD players, game consoles and more to BUILD A COMPLETE
HIGH-DEFINITION HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM around the N2750w. Two powerful
10-watt stereo speakers and SRS virtual surround sound capability complete
your home entertainment experience. ViewSonic has built long term
compatibility into the N2750w so you can continue to enjoy high-definition
video entertainment in the future.
MSRP: $1,199.00
Cosco Canada $9995.

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 5/18/2005 at 8:14 PM Smacko wrote:

any ideas about a good LCD monitor? (preferably 19 inch or more thanks Q;o)

Message: 19
   Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 00:57:27 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
more    thanks  Q;o)

I enjoy my Samsung 193V and don't mind the extra I paid a year ago but lots
now are very cheap compared.

MW

Smacko <smacko9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
any ideas about a good LCD monitor? (preferably 19 inch or more thanks Q;o)

Message: 20
   Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 01:14:42 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New MS Security Toolkit

under what category Sean? I can get into the Forums ok but clicking on the
link says I don't have authorization.

MW

Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To MCH Forums members, read about the new Microsoft Security Toolkit here:
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showtopic=3D8&st=3D0&;

Message: 21
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:22:07 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

It's in the Library>Reference Articles>Security Issues. But you don't have
to go through that route. Just simply clicking the link, it should take you
there.

Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
under what category Sean? I can get into the Forums ok but clicking on the
link says I don't have authorization.

MW

Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To MCH Forums members, read about the new Microsoft Security Toolkit here:
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showtopic=3D8&st=3D0&;

Message: 22
   Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 01:28:55 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

this is what I get when trying to click the link Sean

The error returned was:

this is strange, I'm shown as logged in but when I try to access the site
mentioned, this is the message received

"This forum is protected by a password. Please do not attempt to enter a
password unless you are authorised. All failed attempts are logged and you
may have your posting rights removed upon repetitive failure."

Hmm, looks like one needs another password to get into that area. How does
one get the password? also , when would on enter it when clicking a link or
after doing a log on to the forums?

Seantific wrote:
To MCH Forums members, read about the new Microsoft Security Toolkit here:
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showtopic=3D8&st=3D0&;

Message: 23
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:36:21 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
more    thanks  Q;o)

We bought a Sony for a bargain: $350! We bought it at Fry's Electronics.
Check out http://www.salescircular.com (if you live in the US) all the time
and watch out for some good sales.
For example, if you are from Illinois, here is what you get:
http://salescircular.com/il/computer/mnitrp.shtml

Mike <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

Message: 24

   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 23:07:34 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Incredimail

Bob, refer to these articles:

http://www.incredimail.com/english/help/im/send_receive/authorization_err_2.=
html
http://www.incredimail.com/english/help/im/send_receive/send_errors.html
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?7,24599,24641

Are you using GMail with Incredimail?
If the problem persists, try disabling your antivirus specially if you are
using Norton while you are sending an email. Re-enable it back after you
send it.

Bob Johnson <bobj44@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At times i keep getting the message "FAILED TO CONNECT TO THE INCOMING
SERVER, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER!", and other pop-up messages, all are from
Incredimail, my incoming mail server  Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks, Bob..

=3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

See the self help page here