[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1384

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:23:21 -0700

There are 14 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Reading error onAVG Scan...
           From: Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Help, please to advise trojan horse removal <pvt>
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Reading error onAVG Scan...
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: "esrman" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. XP activation question
           From: "Steve" <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: XP activation question
           From: "EllBee" <ellbee@xxxxxxx>
      8. Re: XP activation question
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: XP activation question
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: XP activation question
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Auto-backing up IE's Favorites
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: XP activation question
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. move favorites
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. New Forums
           From: "Richard Davisson" <rld187@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 01:51:06 +1200
   From: Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Reading error onAVG Scan...

Hi, - Kernell32.dll, wsock32.dll, user32.dll,  shell32.dll

all 4 get a 'reading error' - When I run AVG virus scanner (doing now)

- Would they cause my PC to freeze / auto-reboot - 2-3 times a night ?

Bed time now
--

G Stewart
Gmail : gmailinvites-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 2
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:07:54 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help, please to advise trojan horse removal <pvt>

Go to Add/Remove Programs. Look for Comet or Starware. Uninstall it/them if
they are listed.
Otherwise, follow these steps to remove Comet DMServer from your machine:
Begin by backing up your registry and your system to prevent trouble if you
make a mistake.
Read this:

HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98,
and Windows Me (Q322754)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;Q322754

 -->

Run regedit then go To the key
If you find the value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\dm_server,
delete it and reboot the machine immediately.

Reboot to Safe Mode and delete these files:
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SS\DMPROXY.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SS\DMSERVER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cssecure.dll
C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmproxy.dll
You should be able to delete everything in the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder. Also
empty Temporary Internet Files folder. With all hidden files set to
visible, do a search of dmproxy.dll, dmserver.exe and cssecure.dll in your
whole drive. Delete them if you find them.
Remove the whole Comet folder.

AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>This is what the Vault says:
>
>TROJAN HORSE Downloader.Comet.B -- the below two files
>
>C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmserver. exe
>
>C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmproxy. dll
>
>The details say they are NOT healable.
>
>What the heck is COMET SYSTEMS anyway?
>Both of these say "Backup copy -- infected"

Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)

Message: 3
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:09:59 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Reading error onAVG Scan...

It may freeze, it may not even boot, or you may not be able to get online.
Any of that is possible.

Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, - Kernell32.dll, wsock32.dll, user32.dll,  shell32.dll

all 4 get a 'reading error' - When I run AVG virus scanner (doing now)

- Would they cause my PC to freeze / auto-reboot - 2-3 times a night ?

Bed time now
--

G Stewart
Gmail : gmailinvites-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NZ: new_zealand-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NZ Bus Website
http://busnz.kwister.com/ - Updated

Message: 4
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:13:42 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II

That might just be a proprietary program from Compaq and not necessarily
native to Windows 98.

esrman <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a compaq and its in "Compaq Support" in the start menu.

Open compaq support and it has a list.

System restore,selective restore,etc.

   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:32:30 -0400
   From: "esrman" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That could be true.

I noticed it doesn`t come up when I do a find either!.

   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:39:57 -0000
   From: "Steve" <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: XP activation question

I have apparently used my copy of XP too many times. I remember there
is a file one can copy from an old installation into the new one, thus
obviating the need to reactivate the new copy.

Would someone please point me to the post which describes this process?

Thanking you in advance I remain,

Your Humble Servant,

Steve
NH

Message: 7
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:12:45 -0500
   From: "EllBee" <ellbee@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XP activation question

Hi Steve. Is this possibly what you are looking for?

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5034890.html

Regards,
EllBee

  I have apparently used my copy of XP too many times. I remember there
  is a file one can copy from an old installation into the new one, thus
  obviating the need to reactivate the new copy.

  Would someone please point me to the post which describes this process?

  Thanking you in advance I remain,

  Your Humble Servant,

  Steve
  NH

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-1, 05/17/2005
Tested on: 5/17/2005 2:12:46 PM

Message: 8
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:09:04 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

EllBee, I think Steve might be thinking of this message which I posted:
The tip I described in that message applies only to XP installations that
have already been activated previously.
However, if you are coming from an XP that is a pirated version which has
never been activated and now you want to go legit, the article that you
posted is an excellent one to help a would-be XP-user activator. It should
be copied by everyone who might be considering activating their XP in the
future. Great contribution, EllBee.

   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:09:09 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, EllBee. I read that and then Googled some
more, and then figured it out.

Steve
NH
--- EllBee <ellbee@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Steve. Is this possibly what you are looking for?

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5034890.html

> Regards,
> EllBee

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 10
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:13:25 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Spunk:

What people need to remember is that it only works for
the same computer, after a HD wipeout, for instance. I
wanted to put it onto another computer.

Steve
NH
> The tip I described in that message applies only to
> XP installations that have already been activated
> previously.
> However, if you are coming from an XP that is a
> pirated version which has never been activated and
> now you want to go legit, the article that you
> posted is an excellent one to help a would-be
> XP-user activator. It should be copied by everyone
> who might be considering activating their XP in the
> future. Great contribution, EllBee.
>

> EllBee <ellbee@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve. Is this possibly what you are looking for?

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5034890.html

> Regards,
> EllBee

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 11
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:06:17 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Auto-backing up IE's Favorites

QUOTE:
There's no way of automatically making copies of your Favourites.
UNQUOTE

I beg to disagree. Of course, I could be wrong. Without using any of the
following tools, my research produced the following:
There are two or 3 ways to auto-copy your IE Favorites.
1. You can BookmarkSync
http://www.sync2it.com/

2. SyncMarks nonetheless offers many ways to import and export bookmarks
between Firefox and IE. SyncMarks can automatically synchronize Firefox's
bookmarks with IE's favorites on the same machine when you start or exit
Firefox. In addition, the program can write either an HTML or an XML
version of the faves file locally. Free. BTW, SyncMarks is a Firefox
extension. Of course, it's a given that you have to have Firefox installed.
:)
Download SyncMarks from here & by the way, do your downloading using
Firefox so you can install it directly:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/syncmarks/

3. FavoriteSync is another Firefox extension you can use. It can be found
here:
http://www.favoritesync.com/forum/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=3D26
http://www.favoritesync.com/fs/faces/jsf/content/index.jsp
Forum support
http://www.favoritesync.com/forum/mvnforum/listforums

If you are using Firefox, you can sync your bookmarks to an FTP server:
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/booksync

"Bob E."  wrote:
[[There's no way of automatically making copies of your Favourites]]

There should be a "Favorites" folder in Explorer. It is current, and can be
copied to where ever you want it.

I did a drag & drop copy of my Favorites to my Jump dr and carry it with me
in case I need one of my sites to aid in repair/cleanup of a students
machine.

My 2=BD=A2

Message: 12
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:08:26 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Good thing to point out :)

Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks, Spunk:

What people need to remember is that it only works for
the same computer, after a HD wipeout, for instance. I
wanted to put it onto another computer.

Steve
NH
> The tip I described in that message applies only to
> XP installations that have already been activated
> previously.
> However, if you are coming from an XP that is a
> pirated version which has never been activated and
> now you want to go legit, the article that you
> posted is an excellent one to help a would-be
> XP-user activator. It should be copied by everyone
> who might be considering activating their XP in the
> future. Great contribution, EllBee.
>

> EllBee <ellbee@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve. Is this possibly what you are looking for?

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5034890.html

> Regards,
> EllBee

Message: 13
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:17:50 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: move favorites

Here is another idea. Instead of just adding your bookmarks to either
Firefox's Bookmarks or IE's Favorites, why don't you open an account at
these superb bookmarks sites which offers personalized bookmarking service
that you can access at any computer anywhere:
1. Spurl.net
http://spurl.net/
I super love this site.
2. Del.icio.us
http://del.icio.us/
Sounds delicious, doesn't it? Well it is!!! Check it out!
3. Google also has a feature where you can store your searches and
bookmarks.

Sean

dzamora wrote:

Hi Harley..
  I would think it would be easier to simply add your Favorites folder to
your backup procedure.  It would only have to be added once.

--
dzamora

I would like to have a file in "my documents" that every time I added a
site to "my favorites" it would add it to that file also. Is this possible?
I want to make sure when I back up I have all of my favorites backed up
also.

Harley

MCH FORUMS - http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?act=3Didx
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5
Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/

Message: 14
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 18:31:36 -0400
   From: "Richard Davisson" <rld187@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New Forums

Sean,
     Can you hook me up with the new forum please? Thank you.
Richard L. Davisson
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/WhatsonmyPalm
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered
minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
                                                Johann von Goethe
...behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was
Death, and Hell followed with him.  Revelation 6:8

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch