[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1382

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:26:01 -0700

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Incredimail
           From: "Bob Johnson" <bobj44@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Adaware Forums Lost
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please
           From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: Guy Mallard <gmelex@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: MURRAY WHITE <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: John82654@xxxxxxx
      8. Re: Re: Adaware Forums Lost
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Re: MCH Forums
           From: <beefstew@xxxxxxx>
     10. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Re: Adaware Forums Lost
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: New MCH Forums
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: New MCH Forums
           From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: Adaware Forums Lost
           From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: New Memory Stumped
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     19. Re: Adaware Forums Lost
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     20. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: "esrman" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     21. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: "esrman" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     22. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     23. Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     24. Re: Re: New Memory Stumped
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     25. Re: New MCH Forums
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:44:59 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
   From: "Bob Johnson" <bobj44@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Incredimail

At times i keep getting the message "FAILED TO CONNECT TO THE INCOMING
SERVER, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER!", and other pop-up messages, all are from
Incredimail, my incoming mail server  Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks, Bob..

Message: 2
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:34:52 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Adaware Forums Lost

This all sounds good.

In the machine that is mostly on the internet I have been running
Adaware, Spybot, and Bazooka but now that Adaware free is possibly
dead I wanted to get someting else. I will check out the listing you
talk about and make a decision from there (have already requested a
password). I wanted to make an informed decesion because I know
there are some of those programs to stay away from. I want the
software so I don't have to check out the sites I visit on another
computer first.

I would put the adaware free in my machine or even the paid version
but I just don't feel good about what they are doing so why install
something that may be gone in a few weeks.

As for not running suite programs I agree totally. I have never run
a suite of products except for my office program where each part can
be installed or uninstalled separately.

All security programs I have installed are stand alone.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Rich S"

Message: 3
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:24:07 -0600
   From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please

At 01:32 AM 5/16/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>At 5/16/2005 12:40 AM, Mike wrote:
> ><snip>
> >Go to Control Panel and open "System". Click the Performance tab, the
File
> >System button, then the Troubleshooting tab. There, choose the option to
> >"Disable System Restore". Click "OK" on the way out, close Control Panel
and
> >restart the computer.
>       <snip>
>
>I failed to mention that she's still running Win98.  When I checked my
>older 'puter (that is also running Win98), I was able to follow each step
>until I got to "choose the option to 'Disable System Restore.'"  That
>option isn't listed on the Troubleshooting tab. :(
>
>Please can you send me the instructions for Win98SE?  I can't find=
 anything
>addressing the System Restore in my AVG Free.
>

>     Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
>        <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to Windows XP don't have a
system restore.

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:48:50 -0500
   From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II

At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:

>For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to Windows XP don't have a
>system restore.

It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day trying to find it or its
equivalent in Win98. Thank you LOTS for the info.  Now if someone can only
help with my original query (Does Ad-Aware remove "TROJAN HORSE
Downloader.Comet.B?") taking into account that the system in question is
running Win98 . . . .

------------  copy of original query --------------------------
A cyberbud just switched from her expired-Friday-McAfee to AVG.  Her first
run after installation gave her this, she says:

 >This is what the Vault says:
 >
 >TROJAN HORSE Downloader.Comet.B -- the below two files
 >
 >C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmserver. exe
 >
 >C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmproxy. dll
 >
 >The details say they are NOT healable.
 >
 >What the heck is COMET SYSTEMS anyway?
 >Both of these say "Backup copy -- infected"

I saw on Google that it/they are Gator related. :(  Ad-Aware will "heal"
(remove?) these, right?  If not, please, what is the recommended way?
------------------- end of copy --------------------------------------

     Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
        <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 5
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:13:24 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Guy Mallard <gmelex@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AVG found a Trojan Horse -- Help, please II

I have performed system restore many times in W98.
If you reboot choosing ms-dos - Type in:  scanreg
/restore.

Make sure there is a space between scanreg
and/restore.

Guy Mallard

--- AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:
>
> >For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to
> Windows XP don't have a
> >system restore.
>
> It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day
> trying to find it or its
> equivalent in Win98.

G.M. ELECTRONICS SERVICE >>   REPAIR*INSTALLATION* CIRCUIT DESIGN &
CONSTRUCTION >>Computers*Satellite TV*Marine Electronics*Ham Radio
Communications *Project Custom-Design & Construction* Wireless * Custom-
Designed Original 50-60's Oldies Music CD's*Professional Printing(Non-Smear
Wax-Based Ink)
E-mail: gmelex@xxxxxxxxx     PH: (904)282-1472  Guy Mallard, Owner

Message: 6
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:32:30 -0400 (EDT)
   From: MURRAY WHITE <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

did you try a google search?

http://www.steadysearch.com/search?p=3DQ&ts=3Dne&w=3DDownloader.Comet.B

lots of links to this one here

MW

AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:

>For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to Windows XP don't have a
>system restore.

It's worth a lot to me, Steve. I've been all day trying to find it or its
equivalent in Win98. Thank you LOTS for the info. Now if someone can only
help with my original query (Does Ad-Aware remove "TROJAN HORSE
Downloader.Comet.B?") taking into account that the system in question is
running Win98 . . . .

------------ copy of original query --------------------------
A cyberbud just switched from her expired-Friday-McAfee to AVG. Her first
run after installation gave her this, she says:

>This is what the Vault says:
>
>TROJAN HORSE Downloader.Comet.B -- the below two files
>
>C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmserver. exe
>
>C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmproxy. dll
>
>The details say they are NOT healable.
>
>What the heck is COMET SYSTEMS anyway?
>Both of these say "Backup copy -- infected"

I saw on Google that it/they are Gator related. :( Ad-Aware will "heal"
(remove?) these, right? If not, please, what is the recommended way?
------------------- end of copy --------------------------------------

Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)

Message: 7
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:35:45 EDT
   From: John82654@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 5/16/2005 3:59:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to Windows XP  don't have a
>system restore.

I'm pretty sure ME has it too.

Message: 8
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:40:54 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Adaware Forums Lost

Rich,
I now know why I selected you to become a moderator at MCH Forums. :)
Ditto to Orang, the other moderator I selected to help us out. I extend the
invitation to all the mods here; position is transferable. :)
Rich, very good advice you have given here. I like what you said about the
update going on with Lavasoft's support forum. You could be right, it must
be some awesome updates they are doing to the forums being out for about a
month now <SARCASM>:). Maybe they are making the forums psychedelic..hehe.

Vince,
Read these threads:
http://shorterlink.com/?X96K69
Clear as mad?

It is not for sure what is going to happen to the free Ad-Aware SE and
their support forums. If the software we have freely enjoyed for awhile
should become commercial, we, freeware-loving crowd, will seek out new
freeware to take its place. Like what Rich said, there are plenty to choose
from. Let us not also forget there is that free Microsoft Windows
AntiSpyware that we can all fall back on. It should compliment pretty
nicely Spybot and Bazooka, if you take Adaware from the mix. Also, with
SpywareBlaster, configured the way I recommended it in MCH Forums'
Referenced Articles, coupled with PrevX, Spybot's TeaTimer, Netcraft
Toolbar, a good HOSTS file, Spyware Guard, and regular use of alternative
internet browsers such as Opera, and Firefox, your system or network should
be OK from spyware invasion. Many people, including myself, have found
multiple tools to protect their systems.
What is going on at Lavasoft is certainly a big and legitimate concern to
all of us who are dependent on the free Adaware version to remove spyware
and those who depend on the Adaware scan log interpretation service being
given in their support forums. But fear not. The void can easily be filled
by any of these other Ad-Aware forums where some of the Lavasoft support
forums staff have moved to, according to a posting I read:

Ad-Aware Support Forums

Geeks To Go
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Lavasoft_Support_Ad_aware-f62.html

Subratram.org
(Kill Spyware Forums>Ad-aware Support)
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=3D26

CARMA - Council of Advocates for Relief from Malware Assimilation
(The PC Clinic>Ad-Aware Support)
http://s4.invisionfree.com/CARMA/index.php?showforum=3D71

Castle Cops Security Professionals
(Spyware>Lavasoft Ad-Aware)
http://castlecops.com/forum142.html

Freedomlist's PC Protection
(registration not required)
http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3D12
Freedomlist has been providing help with Ad-Aware for some time and has a
large member group with Ad-Aware support experience.

Gladiator Security Forum
(AntiSpyware & Privacy Programs)
http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showforum=3D147

Manage Your PC.com
(Clean It Up>I've Tried Nothing)
http://forums.manageyourpc.com/index.php?showforum=3D14
or
(I've Tried Some Things)
http://forums.manageyourpc.com/index.php?showforum=3D15

SpyWare BeWare!
(Security Troubleshooting and Support)
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=3D16

The Antispyware page
(Svensk support>AdAware support)
http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Antispyware_page/index.php?showforum=3D11

Ad-Aware SE Plus and Professional Home and Corporate users can obtain email
support from here:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/customer_support/

I updated appropriate articles in MCH Forums' Library to reflect the above
information.
I have not read any official explanation of why the forums are unavailable.
Has anyone? I'd say let's hope for the best and expect the worst. I've read
that Lavasoft has a new support services for the paying people. Is that a
hint that maybe we will be asked to pay soon? I hope not. The freeloading
public made Lavasoft's products popular and without our support,and if we
stop talking about it, I think their earnings will go down. If this is
Lavasoft's way of saying that the "temporary" unavailability of the forums
has now become permanent this sure is a shoddy way of treating the people
who supported them, and those volunteers who gave their time and resources
to improve Lavasoft's products.

To understand what is really going on at Lavasoft, maybe this site will
shed some light:
http://members.accessbee.com/mitch/PhantomPhixer.html

Meantime, let's all wait and see.

Sean

<heavy_60538@xxxx> wrote:

[...]

Message: 9
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:22:52 -0500
   From: <beefstew@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: MCH Forums

Please send me the information.
Thanks.
Don C.

From: "Andie Drosen" <adrosen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2005/05/15 Sun AM 09:45:35 CDT
To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [MCH] MCH Forums

Hi Sean,
Yes, I would like to join your group. Thanx for asking,

Andrea

Message: 10
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:22:10 -0700
   From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bev,
here are the instructions from MS on doing a registry restore to an earler
point in Windows 98;

Be sure to back up your registry before making any changes!
Click Start, and select Run, then type in MSCONFIG and click OK.
In the 'General' tag, click 'Create Backup'.

---------------
How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;EN-US;q221512

Under normal circumstances, Windows is capable of detecting and recovering
from registry errors automatically. If Windows is incapable of this, a
previous copy of the registry can be restored manually. Windows makes and
stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully
each day. By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored. To
restore one of these previous copies:

1/ Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose
'Safe Mode Command Prompt Only' from the Windows 98 Startup menu.
If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.

2/ At the MS-DOS prompt, type 'cd\windows\command' (without quote's),
and then press ENTER.
Where "windows" is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3/ At the C: prompt, type 'scanreg /restore' , and then press ENTER.

4/ Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.
NOTE : A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.=

5/ When you receive notification that you restored a properly working
registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

Pest Patrol has removal information here;
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=3D453078852

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 5/16/2005 at 5:48 PM AlohaBev wrote:

At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:

>For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to Windows XP don't have a
>system restore.

It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day trying to find it or its
equivalent in Win98. Thank you LOTS for the info.  Now if someone can only
help with my original query (Does Ad-Aware remove "TROJAN HORSE
Downloader.Comet.B?") taking into account that the system in question is
running Win98 . . . .

------------  copy of original query --------------------------
A cyberbud just switched from her expired-Friday-McAfee to AVG.  Her first
run after installation gave her this, she says:

 >This is what the Vault says:
 >
 >TROJAN HORSE Downloader.Comet.B -- the below two files
 >
 >C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmserver. exe
 >
 >C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmproxy. dll
 >
 >The details say they are NOT healable.
 >
 >What the heck is COMET SYSTEMS anyway?
 >Both of these say "Backup copy -- infected"

I saw on Google that it/they are Gator related. :(  Ad-Aware will "heal"
(remove?) these, right?  If not, please, what is the recommended way?
------------------- end of copy --------------------------------------

     Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
        <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 11
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:22:54 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Guy, that would be a Registry restore. I think System Restore is much more
involved. Doing a Registry restore could fix some of the problems a
computer user might be experiencing of course.

Guy Mallard <gmelex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have performed system restore many times in W98.
If you reboot choosing ms-dos - Type in:  scanreg
/restore.

Make sure there is a space between scanreg
and/restore.

Guy Mallard

--- AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:
>
> >For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to
> Windows XP don't have a
> >system restore.
>
> It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day
> trying to find it or its
> equivalent in Win98.

Message: 12
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:26:08 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

System Restore is only available in Win Me and WinXP.

AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:

>For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to Windows XP don't have a
system restore.

It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day trying to find it or its
equivalent in Win98. Thank you LOTS for the info.  Now if someone can only
help with my original query Does Ad-Aware remove "TROJAN HORSE
Downloader.Comet.B?")taking into account that the system in question is
running Win98 . . . .

------------  copy of original query --------------------------
A cyberbud just switched from her expired-Friday-McAfee to AVG.  Her first
run after installation gave her this, she says:

>This is what the Vault says:
>
>TROJAN HORSE Downloader.Comet.B -- the below two files
>
>C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmserver. exe
>
>C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmproxy. dll
>
>The details say they are NOT healable.
>
>What the heck is COMET SYSTEMS anyway?
>Both of these say "Backup copy -- infected"

I saw on Google that it/they are Gator related. :(  Ad-Aware will "heal"
(remove?) these, right?  If not, please, what is the recommended way?
------------------- end of copy --------------------------------------

     Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
        <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

=3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

Message: 13
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:37:51 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Upon further reading about what is going on with the Lavasoft's support
forums, it seems that Lavasoft is leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth
among security forums gurus and members alike. Lavasoft is getting slammed
harshly and that doesn't happen without good reasons.

Vince <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for finding something. I can't even think how much time I spent on
looking for the darn thing.

The reason I was concerned is I have done most of my browsing on a
different computer that has Adaware installed. Everything works fine. My
perosnal main computer does not have any spy detection software installed
at this time just antivirus and fire wall. The only thing I used the
machine on line for was to get email and go to known clean sites as well as
do software updates.

Now I will start using it more and wanted to put Adaware and Spybot in this
machine as well. I just was wondering with the forum missing if Lavasoft
was going to go out of business or quit supporting the basic users.

I was thinking of purchasing one of the retail versions like Spy Sweeper or
the likes but they are like antivirus programs and want to charge each=
 year.

Anyway I guess it is still safe to install Adaware in my machine.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Rich S"
<heavy_60538@xxxx> wrote: I did a search seeking the answer to your
question. Seems the Ad-Aware SE Forums have been down for over a month now
with no indication as to when they will resume.Lavasoft just states that
they are upgrading their Forum.Must be one heck of an upgrade. :-)

Regardless,go to the following address where you will find many
comments,and several links to assorted help sites that have set up forums
dedicated to Ad-Aware SE Personal.The owners of paid versions can still get
help thru Lavasoft email support.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13116
669~reverse=3D0;days=3D10;
root=3Dsecurity;mode=3Dfull
OR http://makeashorterlink.com/?T36E3141B

Rich S

Message: 14
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:36:37 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New MCH Forums

Hello Sean:

I wonder if you see your new forum replacing (or
diluting)this current MCH forum?

  If your new forum is targeting very high level
technical issues, I will pass.  I have not the
background, the initiative or the years left (I'm
81)to get really deep into extremely technical
computer and software issues.

I enjoy and profit from the help, info and
interchanges on MCH.  If it is going to continue, then
it will meet my needs very well. However, if it is
going to be replaced, Then I would like to participate
in your new forum.

Estavi

--- Sean <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've recently announced the creation of an
> associated MCH Forums
> site and several of you have expressed your interest
> publicly and
> privately in knowing its URL so you can join. If you
> posted here
> regarding that matter, look in your inbox. If you
> have not received
> a response from me, please be patient. I will
> respond to you
> shortly, not publicly, but privately.
> Right now, there are only a few people who have
> registered and about
> 7 postings are currently in the Forums, most of them
> found in The
> Library. To access the contents of The Library, you
> will need
> another password which I created and I will only let
> you have that
> password after you register.
> Your suggestions are most welcome.
> Orang, I will email you privately.
>
> Sean

Discover Yahoo!

Message: 15
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:41:58 -0500
   From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I would have never guessed you at 81.

http://www.semissourian.com/story.html$rec=3D162485

I was wrong about this ladies age also.  She's 99.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

> I wonder if you see your new forum replacing (or
> diluting)this current MCH forum?
>
>   If your new forum is targeting very high level
> technical issues, I will pass.  I have not the
> background, the initiative or the years left (I'm
> 81)to get really deep into extremely technical
> computer and software issues.
>
> I enjoy and profit from the help, info and
> interchanges on MCH.  If it is going to continue, then
> it will meet my needs very well. However, if it is
> going to be replaced, Then I would like to participate
> in your new forum.
>
> Estavi
>

> --- Sean <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've recently announced the creation of an
> > associated MCH Forums
> > site and several of you have expressed your interest
> > publicly and
> > privately in knowing its URL so you can join. If you
> > posted here
> > regarding that matter, look in your inbox. If you
> > have not received
> > a response from me, please be patient. I will
> > respond to you
> > shortly, not publicly, but privately.
> > Right now, there are only a few people who have
> > registered and about
> > 7 postings are currently in the Forums, most of them
> > found in The
> > Library. To access the contents of The Library, you
> > will need
> > another password which I created and I will only let
> > you have that
> > password after you register.
> > Your suggestions are most welcome.
> > Orang, I will email you privately.
> >
> > Sean

Message: 16
   Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:42:18 -0600
   From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<When replying to messages, please delete all unnecessary information from
Thank you!>

That's not the same thing.  The system restore in XP is actually named
"system restore", and it is more or less similar to Symantec's Go Back.

Steve

At 04:13 PM 5/16/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>I have performed system restore many times in W98.
>If you reboot choosing ms-dos - Type in:  scanreg
>/restore.
>
>Make sure there is a space between scanreg
>and/restore.
>
>Guy Mallard
>

>--- AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:
> >
> > >For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to
> > Windows XP don't have a
> > >system restore.
> >
> > It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day
> > trying to find it or its
> > equivalent in Win98.

S N I P

Message: 17
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 04:51:19 -0000
   From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>

Ad-Aware got a bad reputation about 3 years ago when they stopped
issuing updates to their software.The excuse was that they were
completely re-writing their software,and all company resources were
committed to that project.A curious policy at best!

They did finally come out with new software which definitely is a
step above the old stuff.Continued improvement with their protection
engine and timely updates won back many of their
customers.Still,there was always an atmosphere of mistrust in their
forums.

Many people asked a lot of hard hitting and difficult questions there.
There were a lot of derogatory posts that often went unanswered and
ignored.Lavasoft purged the forums more than once,thus eliminating the
"bad press".

When they appeared to make questionable alliances with companies(e.g.
WhenU)many considered sources of malware the body waste hit the
fan.It really wasn't too long after that when the forums became
inaccessible.Far be it for me to insinuate that this series of events
are the reason for the disappearence of Lavasoft Forums,however I
suggest each reader draw their own conclusions.
Rich S

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
> Rich, very good advice you have given here. I like what you said
about the update going on with Lavasoft's support forum. You could be
right, it must be some awesome updates they are doing to the forums
being out for about a month now <SARCASM>:). Maybe they are making
the forums psychedelic..hehe.

Message: 18
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 04:57:04 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Memory Stumped

Well,
I finally convinced my friend to spend a few bucks on a name brand
memory instead of the off the wall stuff he was getting. This really
was a must the system was running XP Pro with only 128mb ram. Still
only has 256 but atleast thats more than the commit charge max the
machine was using. Low and behold one install less than 2 minutes
and bam it's done.

This goes to show you that cheaper is not always better. If it is
free it is worth a shot but if you only save a buck or two on off
the wall hardware it could cost more in the long run.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxx>
wrote:
> Sounds like you need to let your friend work on his own stuff or
start
> charging him for all the trips back and forth to the shop.  There
is a
> reason why things are different prices and if this doesn't bring
that
> home to him, nothing will.
>
> Won't pay more than $29?  Get him a stick of 64MB.  I rarely
charge to
> install memory but you will use the memory I recommend or you'll
take
> your system somewhere else.  Life's too short.
>
> Tom

Message: 19
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 05:00:37 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sean,

That is conclusion I have been leaning toward and have not yet
installed it in my second machine.

Guess I will start with the ones I know are ok Spybot and Bazooka and
then go from there on the rest. I will consider the Microsoft program
but waiting to see what happens when the beta test is over.

Vince

<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
> Upon further reading about what is going on with the Lavasoft's
support forums, it seems that Lavasoft is leaving a bad taste in
everyone's mouth among security forums gurus and members alike.
Lavasoft is getting slammed harshly and that doesn't happen without
good reasons.

Message: 20
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 05:01:53 -0400
   From: "esrman" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sorry but 09se does have a system restore.

Its nothing like the one in xp but its there.

I`ve never used it.
  At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:

  >For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to Windows XP don't have=
  >system restore.

  It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day trying to find it or
its
  equivalent in Win98. Thank you LOTS for the info.  Now if someone can
only
  help with my original query (Does Ad-Aware remove "TROJAN HORSE
  Downloader.Comet.B?") taking into account that the system in question is
  running Win98 . . . .

  ------------  copy of original query --------------------------
  A cyberbud just switched from her expired-Friday-McAfee to AVG.  Her=
 first
  run after installation gave her this, she says:

  >This is what the Vault says:
  >
  >TROJAN HORSE Downloader.Comet.B -- the below two files
  >
  >C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmserver. exe
  >
  >C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmproxy. dll
  >
  >The details say they are NOT healable.
  >
  >What the heck is COMET SYSTEMS anyway?
  >Both of these say "Backup copy -- infected"

  I saw on Google that it/they are Gator related. :(  Ad-Aware will "heal"
  (remove?) these, right?  If not, please, what is the recommended way?
  ------------------- end of copy --------------------------------------

       Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
          <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  =3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

Service.

Message: 21
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 05:06:38 -0400
   From: "esrman" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I repeat.

windows 98se has a ".SYSTEM RESTORE"
  Guy, that would be a Registry restore. I think System Restore is much
more involved. Doing a Registry restore could fix some of the problems a
computer user might be experiencing of course.

  Guy Mallard <gmelex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have performed system restore many times in W98.
  If you reboot choosing ms-dos - Type in:  scanreg
  /restore.

  Make sure there is a space between scanreg
  and/restore.

  Guy Mallard

  --- AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:
  >
  > >For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to
  > Windows XP don't have a
  > >system restore.
  >
  > It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day
  > trying to find it or its
  > equivalent in Win98.

  =3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

Service.

Message: 22
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 02:16:01 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

It does? How do you do it, Esrman?

esrman <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I repeat.

windows 98se has a ".SYSTEM RESTORE"

  Guy, that would be a Registry restore. I think System Restore is much
more involved. Doing a Registry restore could fix some of the problems a
computer user might be experiencing of course.

  Guy Mallard <gmelex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have performed system restore many times in W98.
  If you reboot choosing ms-dos - Type in:  scanreg
  /restore.

  Make sure there is a space between scanreg
  and/restore.

  Guy Mallard

  --- AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:
  >
  > >For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to
  > Windows XP don't have a
  > >system restore.
  >
  > It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day
  > trying to find it or its
  > equivalent in Win98.

Message: 23
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 02:17:24 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Can you post the steps on how to use it?

esrman <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Sorry but 09se does have a system
restore.
Its nothing like the one in xp but its there.
I`ve never used it.

  At 5/16/2005 05:24 PM, Steve Tabler wrote:

  >For what it's worth, versions of Windows prior to Windows XP don't have
a system restore.

  It's worth a lot to me, Steve.  I've been all day trying to find it or
its equivalent in Win98. Thank you LOTS for the info.  Now if someone can
only   help with my original query (Does Ad-Aware remove "TROJAN HORSE
Downloader.Comet.B?") taking into account that the system in question is
running Win98 . . . .

  ------------  copy of original query --------------------------
  A cyberbud just switched from her expired-Friday-McAfee to AVG.  Her=
 first
  run after installation gave her this, she says:

  >This is what the Vault says:
  >
  >TROJAN HORSE Downloader.Comet.B -- the below two files
  >
  >C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmserver. exe
  >
  >C:\Program Files\Comet Systems\DM\bin\dmproxy. dll
  >
  >The details say they are NOT healable.
  >
  >What the heck is COMET SYSTEMS anyway?
  >Both of these say "Backup copy -- infected"

  I saw on Google that it/they are Gator related. :(  Ad-Aware will "heal"
  (remove?) these, right?  If not, please, what is the recommended way?
  ------------------- end of copy --------------------------------------

       Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
          <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 24
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 03:11:49 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: New Memory Stumped

How much did it cost him to get the additional memory? Ask him if it was
worth all the aggravation...hehe. Tell him he already saved a lot by you
not charging him. That could have been an additional $150. Tell him to give
you a nice Christmas gift.

wrote:
Sounds like you need to let your friend work on his own stuff or start
charging him for all the trips back and forth to the shop. There is a
reason why things are different prices and if this doesn't bring that home
to him, nothing will.
Won't pay more than $29? Get him a stick of 64MB. I rarely charge to
install memory but you will use the memory I recommend or you'll take your
system somewhere else. Life's too short.
Tom

Message: 25
   Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 03:30:12 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Estavi, I thought you are a teenager :)
Anyway, to calm your worries, NO, MCH Yahoogroup will not be replaced by
MCH Forums. Like I said, there are members here who prefer downloading
their messages and not spend an extra penny on being online too long
reading forum messages. This is a concern for dialup members here and I do
understand where they are coming from.
However, you just may want to register, just in case you need to refer to
an article posted in the FORUMS, instead of digging up piles of emails that
you have. Secondly, if you register, there is nothing to lose. You won't be
bombarded by emails from the group. All messages will remain in the forums
and neatly packed in threads.
Again, let me reiterate, MCH Forums, MCH-PCTips, MCH2, MCH Freelist and
MCH-PCTips Googlegroup are all sister/brother/allied groups of MCH
Yahoogroup.
Thanks for posting your concerns. Right now, I am in the process of
populating the forums and posting away articles to kick off most of the
empty forums (no messages) because as you know, some members just fear or
get discouraged to post if they see no one has posted ahead of them. It
must be a virginity thing :). Sorry if I have not been posting a lot here
since I've been busy starting up and debugging the Forums. But I will still
be in this group helping out. When I am all caught up in the Forums, I will
be back to my regular posting frequency.

Dennis Jenkins <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch