[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1365

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 07:42:10 -0700

There are 7 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Re:  Creating a slipstreamed CD
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. clicking over to IE from FIrefox
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: clicking over to IE from FIrefox
           From: Surfinmac <surfinmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: clicking over to IE from FIrefox
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: clicking over to IE from FIrefox
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: clicking over to IE from FIrefox
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      7. New emerging role for techies
           From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:06:27 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re:  Creating a slipstreamed CD

When you slipstream, what you are are doing is integrating the Service
Packs to the OS so when you install the OS, both the OS and the service
pack are installed together. Some people even add drivers and utitlities to
the slipstreamed CD.

When you image a drive however, what you are doing is copying the whole
drive bit by bit, by that I mean copying everything, even the locations of
the files so when you use the CD on which you burned the image, to restore
the system, the result would be an instant installed OS with all your
favorite programs already installed and configured. All you have to do is
use the system.
It's different when you install the OS using the slipstreamed CD. You still
have to install the OS + SP's + your applications. Then you will have
configure Windows and your third-party software to customize them to your
needs.

IOW, a slipstreamed CD is just another installation CD with some updates,
while an image CD is the whole shebang installed (in other words, it is a
running OS, updated with Windows Updates that you installed previously,
with installed softwares, waiting to be restored to its former glory).

BOBBY <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After all of my unsuccessful efforts to create a slipstreamed CD I think
that I finally realized what the purpose of the CD was. Is it not to use to
reload everything on to a crashed HDD?  Since I just purchased Acronis TI
and will have a cloned image of my HDD stored on a removeable medium I
won't need the slipstreamed CD.  Am I correct?  I am planning to put my
backup of my cloned HDD on to a external HDD.  Is
this desireable or is there some objectionable reason why this will not be
good.  Thanks for your help and advice.  Bobby

Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs. Military discount. $14.95 a month. Dump iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 2
   Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:23:13 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: clicking over to IE from FIrefox

Have recently reinstalled firefox, but can't find the option to click
over to Internet Explorer. Could/would someone please help me find that
option again please?
Thanks.
Bill

Message: 3
   Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:35:06 -0500
   From: Surfinmac <surfinmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: clicking over to IE from FIrefox

Hi Bill,
It is an extension, ieview, found here:
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=3D{ec8030f7-c20a-4=
64f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
or
http://snipurl.com/ekzl

Martha
http://www.marthas-web.com

At 03:23 PM 4/30/2005, you wrote:
>Have recently reinstalled firefox, but can't find the option to click
>over to Internet Explorer. Could/would someone please help me find that
>option again please?
>Thanks.
>Bill

Message: 4
   Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:15:17 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Surfinmac wrote:

> Hi Bill,
> It is an extension, ieview, found here:

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=3D{ec8030f7-c20a-4=
64f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}

<https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=3D%7Bec8030f7-c20=
a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384%7D>
> or
> http://snipurl.com/ekzl
>
> Martha
> http://www.marthas-web.com
>
> At 03:23 PM 4/30/2005, you wrote:
> >Have recently reinstalled firefox, but can't find the option to click
> >over to Internet Explorer. Could/would someone please help me find that
> >option again please?
> >Thanks.
> >Bill

Message: 5
   Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:25:50 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

After you install ieview, just rightclick any links in Firefox and choose
the option to open link in IE from the dropdown menu, you silly wabbit :P

Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Aha! I knew that it was possible, just forgot how I enabled Firefox to do
to it the first time I installed it. Thanks.

Bill

At 03:23 PM 4/30/2005, you wrote:

Have recently reinstalled firefox, but can't find the option to click over
to Internet Explorer. Could/would someone please help me find that option
again please? Thanks. Bill

Message: 6
   Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 07:09:00 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Seantific wrote:

> After you install ieview, just rightclick any links in Firefox and
> choose the option to open link in IE from the dropdown menu, you silly
> wabbit :P
>

> Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Aha! I knew that it was possible, just forgot how I enabled Firefox to
> do to it the first time I installed it. Thanks.
>
> Bill
>

> Surfinmac wrote:
>
> Hi Bill, It is an extension, ieview, found here:

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=3D{ec8030f7-c20a-4=
64f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}

<https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=3D%7Bec8030f7-c20=
a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384%7D>

<https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=3D%7Bec8030f7-c20=
a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384%7D>
> or http://snipurl.com/ekzl
>
> Martha http://www.marthas-org. <http://www.marthas-web.com>

Thanks, Elmer.
I did remember what to do after I installed iview, but gentle reminders
never hurt.
Bill

Message: 7
   Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 06:17:19 -0700 (PDT)
   From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New emerging role for techies

Here is something you can read while sipping on that cup of Java on this
beautiful Sunday morning. Just thought I'd share this. The following is
just a small part of an article:

ARTICLE: Repair Teams Try to Calm 'Computer Rage'
By Ariana Eunjung Cha,, Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 1, 2005

"There's this frustration that you are really dependent on
these things that you don't understand and that you have no
idea how to fix," said Kent L. Norman, a researcher at the
University of Maryland's Laboratory for Automation
Psychology and Decision Processes. "We place so much trust in
computers that it gets a little scary."

No one is immune. No device is exempt. Online message
boards are filled with rants about iPods -- sold by the millions
on the idea that they are easy to use -- freezing up, and
$50,000 luxury cars with windows that roll up and down on
their own at random times.

The recounting of one's personal technological Armageddon
is often desperate and emotional. A recent survey by Norman
found that as many as one out of 10 users have hit, kicked
or otherwise abused their equipment.
More at the site:
http://tinyurl.com/9l3fw

 see the Yahoo home page