[MASC] (Save the date) Epic and awesome 4-day Cup Day weekend trip to the Prom

  • From: Stephen Fordyce <stephen.fordyce@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MASC@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 10:43:43 +1000

Hi all,
This is just a quick save-the-date email.  Friday night 31st October to
Tuesday afternoon 4th of November - put it in your diary, plan to cram for
your exams when you get back, or be really hardcore and come for Sat/Sun
and go back for your Monday exam (it's been done).  It's the offical SCUBA
Divers Federation of Victoria annual (except for last year) inter-club trip
to the The Prom.
The Prom (Wilsons Promontory) is about 3.5hrs drive away (close enough for
2 days if you can't make the whole 4), and has some of the most awesome
diving in Victoria.  We launch the boat off the beach (an epic exercise in
teamwork in itself) and go out to the islands to dive some of the best
clear water around.  There are massive granite boulders stacked on top of
one another that create fantastic swimthroughs and caves for all diver
levels, with highly colourful invertebrate life and lots of fish.  Visits
from seals are practically guaranteed as well.  It will quite probably
knock your proverbial socks off.

There will be a variety of dives available from 10 to 40m, depending on
diver ability and the boat will be doing 3-4 trips out from the beach each
day - this, along with the logistics and teamwork required to keep the
compressor manned about 10hrs per day is a great team building exercise.

But you will need to be comfortable in cold water (it's still about 14degC
at that time of year), so think about doing some pier dives to blow the
cobwebs out first.  Any volunteers to organise one?

This will be a MASC trip, using the MASC boat.

There will be an email with details at some point (possibly only a few
weeks before, depending how organised we get), but it's definitely
happening - we have paid $700 in camping fees and need to get people there
to get it back!!!

Cheers,
Steve