[mainekitchen] Re: BAR

  • From: "Jim Caron" <jcaron16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mainekitchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 02:08:09 -0500

i gotta say this is one of my all time favorite us military rifles!   i always
wanted to own one.  John  Moses Browning and this version\
is super duper sweet and beautiful !  GOd bless craftsmen , innovators and
fully automatic weapons !

  Ordnance BAR: A Modern Twist on a Timeless Classic—SHOT Show 2014
  by GUNSAMERICA ACTUAL on JANUARY 23, 2014
  Send to Kindle
  1Ohio Ordnance Works
  http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/
  The Browning Automatic Rifle is a beast of a gun. I’m not talking about the
svelte modern hunting rifle; I’m talking about the chunky BAR the US Marines
lugged across the scraggly patchwork islands in the Pacific. That big
son-of-a-bitch the Japanese hated. I don’t blame them. I sure wouldn’t want to
face a Leatherneck with a shoulder fired full auto rifle throwing .30-06. The
BAR, which was designed way back in 1917, was already dated in the 1940s, as
heavy rifles were slowly replaced by lighter and lighter squad automatic
rifles. Yet there’s still a mystique to the old gun. Ohio Ordinance has been
making semi-automatic BARs for years, but they’re making news with an “updated”
version that they showed off at the SHOT Show this year.
  The first thing you notice about the new BAR is the emphasis on the updates.
Ohio Ordinance has made a block that attaches to the back of the receiver that
allows for use of a mil-spec AR stock. This and other changes take a good bit
of weight off the rifle. A WWII era BAR weighed in around 19lbs. This one is
closer to 14 pounds.
  This new heavy rifle will shoot 1 MOA, and has an effective range out to
1,200 yards. While we haven’t shot it yet, the rifle does feel steady. The
extra weight helps cut down on the shake that comes with some skinny plastic
hunting guns.
  They have also redesigned the BAR magazine to hold 30 rounds instead of 20.
This keeps the rifles competitive in a world of standard capacity magazines,
and gives the gun a bit of an edge over some other .30 cals. The new mags will
work in original full and semi auto versions of the BAR, too, and are selling
for $60.
  Ohio Ordnance will be taking orders in March and hope to ship in May. The
estimated price for the new BAR is $3,700.
  Most Popular -
  No virus found in this message.