[macvoiceover] Re: iTunes 7.5, & some general thoughts on VO/Leopard

  • From: "Ronald Johnson" <ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:12:39 -0600

Keith,

Well, perhaps that doesn't surprise me about the bigger iPods. I know these shuffles are a different breed, altogether. I actually prefer the Shuffle, because those "Click Wheels" seem to be a pain in the rear for someone lacking vision - that and all the menus. The Shuffle is just simpler, all around, and it seems to get the job done, quite nicely.

Am I running Leopard? Well, as mentioned in my first posting today, I have been running it since about 3:30 PM, Central Time, on October 26th. My sighted roommate has been running it since about 6 PM, that same Evening.

In my earlier posting, I also neglected to mention that I'm really enjoying the "NumPad Commander". It sure does make navigating, interacting, etc tons easier! Wish they would've put it in, first time around!

Take care.

Ron

Ron,

Frankly, I read so much info each day, I don't remember, but, If I run accrost it again, I will pass it along.

Well, thats too bad about not seeing the information on your shuffle. It seems that I had heard that some folks with the bigger ipods were doing well.

BTW, are you running Leopard?

Keith Reedy

On Nov 8, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Ronald Johnson wrote:

Keith,

Ron here. Just plugged my iPod Shuffle (I have one of the newer 1GB versions) in, and, much to my dismay, I can see everything else in the window, except the "Songs Table".

I can tab to the songs, without using the VO keys, and I can arrow up and down through the songs without them, but can't see the list with them. Also, in the "Sources List", I can highlight my iPod, but I don't have an "Open" option, like I used to, when I'd right- click on it's name.

I also attached my roommate's 512MB shuffle to another port on my machine, and got the exact same results.

If there is any info about our iPods, I'm sure not seeing it!

Let me know what results you get on your end. This might end up being one of those issues we'll have to bring up to the folks behind accessibility@xxxxxxxxx .

Take care.

Ron

P.S.

Where is this info you've read? I'd like to peruse it myself, as I'm curious as to what, exactly, has been said about this. TIA.

Ron,

From the info I have red this is true. When I get some time I'm going to plug in mine and give it a look.

kr

On Nov 8, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Ronald Johnson wrote:

Hey Keith,

Didn't know that. I know, in the past, when I've plugged in my shuffle, all the info related to it was invisible to VO, save how many songs you had in it, how much time was taken up by them, and how much space was actually used. You could never, as far as I new, see how much space was left, and as far as all the iPod's settings, forget it! So, all this stuff is available to us now, huh?

Thanks for the info!

Ron

Hi Ron and all,

When you plug in your ipod now you will notice that you have much more information about it and much more control over it.

Keith Reedy

On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:42 AM, Ronald Johnson wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded iTunes 7.5 last evening, and got a very pleasant surprise - the "Smart Playlist" editor is now fully accessible!!! Ås to any other parts of iTunes, which are still inaccessible, I'm uncertain if they've also been made accessible, at this point.

I was actually contemplating writing an eMail to accessibility@xxxxxxxxx , to address this, and other issues (especially since I recently read a response from them, on this list), but I guess this particular issue no longer needs addressing!

As to Leopard, and VO, in general, I haven't really explored the OS, or all the new features of VO, yet, but from what I've been seeing in the help system, etc, I must say I'm quite impressed with all the new feature-upgrades - especially to VO! I'm particularly happy to see that we can now check out the attributes of various text/link items on a web page, that it's lots easier to navigate web pages, that there are expanded search capabilities, and that many apps, such as iCal, now work properly for us.

As to the installation of Leopard, itself: My sighted roommate, & I, installed it on the Afternoon of the 26th. We had my installation done by 3:30 PM, Central Daylight Time, and his done by about 6 PM, CDT.

Before installation, we both did permission repairs, and ran Disc Warrior 4, just to correct any major problems which existed in our file/folder hierarchy, etc. My install (iMac G5), took approximately 1 hour - his (1GHz eMac), took approximately 2 hours. Both installs ran flawlessly.

The treasurer of our MUG, however, wasn't so lucky. He attempted to install Leopard on a laptop, I believe, and it trashed his hard drive. I don't think such issues are common, but, unfortunately, they do exist. Having said all this, if there's anyone on this list who still hasn't installed Leopard, don't hesitate to do so, when the time comes! Just take reasonable precautions (i.e. backing up your home folder, if you have the means to do so), just in case the unthinkable should happen.

Oh, and one more thing. Does anyone on here know how to use the keyboard-based drag-and-drop functionality which is supposed to be built into VO now? The closest thing I've found in VO help, was mention of how to organize items in the Dock, by holding down the Option key, while selecting items. I know VO now has a "Mouse Down" (VO-Command-Shift), and "Mouse Up" (VO-Command- Shift) command. This is as close as I've actually come to doing the whole drag-and-drop thing. This is a feature which has always intrigued me, as I've wondered how it'd be possible for blind users to do drag- and- drop, as our sighted counterparts do. They actually had an implementation of it (I believe it worked for re-ordering items in the Dock, and in lists, but not for moving files/folders in the Finder) in the "Spoken Interface Preview", which I participated in, but in the final release, it wasn't there. Any ideas?

Take care, and happy "Smart Playlist" creating!

Ron

Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link  below.

Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link  below.