[macvoiceover] Re: iTunes 7.5, & some general thoughts on VO/Leopard

  • From: Keith Reedy <WA9DRO@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:12:02 -0500

Hi Ron and all,

When you plug in your ipod now you will notice that you have much more information about it and much more control over it.

Keith Reedy

On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:42 AM, Ronald Johnson wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded iTunes 7.5 last evening, and got a very pleasant surprise - the "Smart Playlist" editor is now fully accessible!!! Ås to any other parts of iTunes, which are still inaccessible, I'm uncertain if they've also been made accessible, at this point.

I was actually contemplating writing an eMail to accessibility@xxxxxxxxx , to address this, and other issues (especially since I recently read a response from them, on this list), but I guess this particular issue no longer needs addressing!

As to Leopard, and VO, in general, I haven't really explored the OS, or all the new features of VO, yet, but from what I've been seeing in the help system, etc, I must say I'm quite impressed with all the new feature-upgrades - especially to VO! I'm particularly happy to see that we can now check out the attributes of various text/link items on a web page, that it's lots easier to navigate web pages, that there are expanded search capabilities, and that many apps, such as iCal, now work properly for us.

As to the installation of Leopard, itself: My sighted roommate, & I, installed it on the Afternoon of the 26th. We had my installation done by 3:30 PM, Central Daylight Time, and his done by about 6 PM, CDT.

Before installation, we both did permission repairs, and ran Disc Warrior 4, just to correct any major problems which existed in our file/folder hierarchy, etc. My install (iMac G5), took approximately 1 hour - his (1GHz eMac), took approximately 2 hours. Both installs ran flawlessly.

The treasurer of our MUG, however, wasn't so lucky. He attempted to install Leopard on a laptop, I believe, and it trashed his hard drive. I don't think such issues are common, but, unfortunately, they do exist. Having said all this, if there's anyone on this list who still hasn't installed Leopard, don't hesitate to do so, when the time comes! Just take reasonable precautions (i.e. backing up your home folder, if you have the means to do so), just in case the unthinkable should happen.

Oh, and one more thing. Does anyone on here know how to use the keyboard-based drag-and-drop functionality which is supposed to be built into VO now? The closest thing I've found in VO help, was mention of how to organize items in the Dock, by holding down the Option key, while selecting items. I know VO now has a "Mouse Down" (VO-Command-Shift), and "Mouse Up" (VO-Command-Shift) command. This is as close as I've actually come to doing the whole drag-and-drop thing. This is a feature which has always intrigued me, as I've wondered how it'd be possible for blind users to do drag- and-drop, as our sighted counterparts do. They actually had an implementation of it (I believe it worked for re-ordering items in the Dock, and in lists, but not for moving files/folders in the Finder) in the "Spoken Interface Preview", which I participated in, but in the final release, it wasn't there. Any ideas?

Take care, and happy "Smart Playlist" creating!

Ron