[macvoiceover] Re: a new feature of snow leopard in services:

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 09:11:58 -0500

Okay, let me try to explain this now that I've figured it out. David, brevity is only a virtue when it communicates clearly.

1. When you open an application for which you want to be able to use text to audio via iTunes, you use vokeys-m to open your menus and arrow right once to the name of the application. Btw some of us, myself included, see more choices when we use vokeys in the menus than when we just arrow, to address another thread--no extra charge for that one.

2. At any rate, under the application name in the menus, go down until you find services submenu and get into that submenu; I do this by right-arrowing.

3. Find services preferences and hit enter--I believe vokeys-space also works..

4. You will end up in the Keyboards pane of system preferences and the second tab, keyboard shortcuts, should be selected. If not, select it. Also, you probably want the second radio button, all controls, selected.

5. Vokeys-right-arrow until you come to the shortcut categories table. Interact with this and go to Services and stop interacting.

6. Vokeys-right-arrow to the keyboard shortcuts table. This table has four columns.

6A. Interact with the table and go to the second column and down to the "add itunes as a spoken track" item.

6B. Vokeys-arrow to the left and check the checkbox.

6C. Arrow to the third column that says blank.

6D. Make sure your mouse is lined up on that third column.. it won't say "blank" or "edit text" as the vo cursor does; it says something like "end of text afterward" if I heard it correctly. Remember that the way to check where your mouse is to do vokeys-f5 and the way to move the mouse to where the voiceover cursor is is to do cmd-vokeys- f5; then it's a good idea to do vokeys-f5 again to make sure it really moved. You check where your voiceover cursor is with vokeys-f3.

6.E. With your mouse lined up correctly, double-click; that's vokeys- shift-m or if you have mouse keys enabled that's numpad 5 (the one with the dot) twice or its equivalent on a laptop I think it's fn-i) twice . You may get no feedback or you may hear "edit text blank".

6F. Hold down the keys you want to use for the shortcut; you may hear the keys you hold down announced or you may get no feedback but you should not hear a clunking sound.

Of course this procedure also works for other services that don't have a shortcut or whose shortcut you wish to change. One warning: you may cancel out or cause conflict with another shortcut if you choose something that's already being used; I don't think you get warned but I'm not sure about this.

6G. When you release the keys and look at that row of the table, your chosen shortcut should be in the column that used to be blank.

Hth.

--
Cheryl
"Let the words of my mouth,