[macvoiceover] Re: Using more then one language on my mac

  • From: Norbert Müller <apple@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:18:58 +0100

Hello Cristina,

I am using my Macbook Pro with 2 languages: English and German. Since come from
Germany and live in Switzerland, German is the language of my operating systen.
I had tu buy a package with German voices which includes 2 German and one
English voice. So when I want to switch languages, I can easily do so in the
VoiceOver menue where you can change the voices. Of course, prompts which come
from the system itself are still in German but are pronounced acording to the
pronunciation rules of the English language. I can live with that, since it was
the same with JAWS when I did not change the JAWS Language completely.

Actually, Julia, which is the German voice I use most of the time, also does a
rather good job with English texts, so often I do not even switch to English
when I hear a short text in English.

I also found that Heather, which is the English voice which came with my speech
package speaks at about the same rate as does Julia. Alex on the other hand
seems to speak faster; so when I switch to English I use her most of the time,
so I don't have to change the speech rate.

I hope that helped a little.

Best greetings,

Norbert