[macvoiceover] Re: Suggestion for voice over, what do you think?

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 14:40:34 -0500

you know when you have to interact with something because it will not read unless you do for instance, "html content" or text area or roup or heading. I like this because I can easily skip stuff I don't want or need and drill into it if I do. It is like zooming out and zooming in. you interact to zoom in and you zoom out when you stop interacting.

On Dec 6, 2008, at 11:40 AM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi all, I know I've had my mac for a little over 2 months now, but I'm
transitioning from the other operating system, and wonder if this might
be a good suggestion for voice over, and that is, how do you know when
you have to interact with something?  The thing that doesn't make sense
to me, and I've read the explanation for interacting, which is like
opening up a box, but I often wonder why, you have to interact with
something, and then immediately stop interacting with it to get it to
show some things, and I seem to remember this being the case in the
voice over utility, but I can't remember now, but my opinion is, what
ever is true for sighted people, has to be true for us, and so, if they
don't have to interact with something, then, and I know I'll get
slammed for this, but, this is just my opinion, and that is, why should
we have to interact, when sighted people don't have to do so?  What do
you think of a check box somewhere in voice over options that would
say, indicate when interaction is needed so that, for example, if you
come to a table, and you down arrow, you'll skip all the elements in
the table unless you interact by opening the table up.  I find, for
example, with skype, that I don't need to interact with the table, just
use first letter navigation to get to where you need to be, and then
choose an action, and I personally think, that there should be a check
box that says, indicate when interaction is needed, so that you only
have to interact with something when absolutely necessary, because, in
the i-tunes table for example, I can use first letter navigation to get
to the radio stream, and if this is so, why interact, when you don't
have to, because, once you've interacted, how do you know when to stop
interacting with something?  I know this is a lot, and I have no
problem interacting with links and such to spell words and such, but I
personally think that a check box letting you know when interacting is
needed would be helpful, because you could always turn it off later.
Hope I'm making sense, but I still am sending mail on this other
machine, I just think that this feature would be good for the new voice
over users.

Marty