[macvoiceover] Re: Restoring a Mac

  • From: ashley <ash.cox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:08:53 +0000

Here's the basics:
1. insert the mac OSX install dvd.
2. restart holding down the letter C when you here the chime, keep it down till the cd reads and starts working
3. After 2-3 minutes, you should be able to launch VO with cmd F5.
4. press enter to select english on the language screen
5. In the installer, go into the menu bar, over to utilities, and select disk utility 6. In disk utility, find ht etable of disks and select the mac harddrive, selecting the first level (will say something like, for example, 120GB WD...)
7. Navigate and select the erase tab.
8. Select "security options" near the bottom of the window, select your option in there. 9. Make sure the format is mac OS extended journaled, and click erase. Depending on your security option, it could take some time.
10. quit disk utility, and proceed through the installer as normal.
11. when the mac restarts, you will here the welcome video. If you don't want to setup an account for the person you're selling it too, press cmd+Q and then click the shutdown button to shut it down. you can use vo for this part. The next time it's booted, the welcome video will play again and the user can create the account as normal

HTH!

Website:
http://www.ashleycox.co.uk
Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/ashleycox2
Blog160:
http://www.blog160.com

On 22/03/2011 09:54, Linnette Whalen wrote:
Hello Group,

I have a three year old black Macbook that I am selling. I would like to take
it back to it's original state before passing it  on. I have the original
software. It came with Leopard and I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Would appreciate
any useful direction.

Linnette>