[macvoiceover] Re: Readiris Pro

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:42:27 -0500

I've found that most problems with readiris relate to scanner support.

On Jan 21, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

1. As far as I know, there's no trial version of readiris if that's what you are wanting.

2. I tried extensively to get this to work for both Carla and myself and, despite some people on this list apparently use it, we were never able to get thorough directions as to how to use it, were never able to get it to work for us, and have finally given up on it until/unless we find further information on how to get it to work. Carla is using vuescan exclusively which doesn't give the greatest ocr but is better than nothing. Wanting to eliminate having to use Windows for it, I have tried using sane (command-line scanimage) which is available through macports but I've found a better interface for it in linux. That is easier for me to use with braille than in Windows but unfortunately the ocr still leaves something to be desired. So the bottom line is that for anything really important i'm still using Abbyy Finereader in Windows. I'd be thrilled to switch to using the mac for my scanning if some brave person who uses it wants to create a step-by-step guide for it. Michael, you may do better with it than Carla and I have done, but i'd be cautious about it from the point of view of our results. I will say, however, that they are very nice about refunds if you find it doesn't work for you.

--
Cheryl