[macvoiceover] Re: Password help!: How to erase

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Macvoiceover Email list <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 01:50:49 -0500

yes, that's right.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Sep 3, 2015, at 11:37 PM, Singing Sparrow <sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

when ereasing the volume this will totally erase the volume right?

On 9/3/2015 5:23 PM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
I am modifying these instructions from an Apple support article for you.
1. Insert the dvd into the computer. it will show up on the desk top. If
there are two dvds make sure this is install disc 1.
2. Restart your computer. Hold down the c key while the computer reboots.
When you are sure the computer has rebooted and the drive is spinning up,
you can release the c key.

3. I think you have to turn voiceover on once the disk has finished spinning
up. At any rate, if it doesn't start talking, do cmd-fn-5; if that doesn't
work, do cmd-f5 without the fn key. If voiceover isn't loud enough hold down
cmd-ctrl-option and arrow right twice and then up until it is loud enough
for you.
4. The first screen will be a language screen and English should already be
chosen as the default so just do vo-space on continue.
5. Do vo-m to go into menu and over to Utilities and down to disk utility
and do vo-space or enter. This should open disk utility.
6. Select a volume to erase (usually called Macintosh HD). With voiceover
this means interacting with the table and then stopping interacting after
selecting your volume. If you have buttons to chose from instead of a table
then you would do vo-spacwe on the one yhou want.
7. Click (do vo-space on) the Erase tab.
Click Erase... Important: This step will completely erase your hard drive.
A dialog box appears asking if you want to erase the partition: click Erase.
After the partition is erased, choose Quit Disk Utility from the Disk
Utility menu.
This article goes on to explain the rest of the installation and setup.. I
am pasting the link to the full article below for you. The article isn't
specifically adapted for voiceover users though I have put some of those
relevant details into what I wrote above. So if you have further questions,
email again.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht3910
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht3910>

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Sep 3, 2015, at 4:04 PM, Singing Sparrow <sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Can you give me the steps to use the disc i have just in case i decide to
use that disc instead of getting the dvd from apple please.

On 9/3/2015 2:23 PM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
This is why I am recommending buying the one from the Apple store, which I
think will be 10.6.8. Then there will be no need to do the update process
within Snow Leopard, which you already ended up doing once, up to 10.6.8.
And yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it is available if you go
online to the Apple Store. Just type Snow Leopard in the search field
there. It costs $19.99. You can do that first; you don't have to do
everything at once. First get your system straightened out with a new
install of Snow Leopard and then decide about Yosemite at your leisure. If
you do not want to buy the 10.6.8 version of Snow Leopard, and want to
install and then repeat the updte process you just did recently, then I or
somebody on this list will try to give you the instructions for this. Buti
think getting Snow leopard from tha Apple Store makes the most sense at
this point.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Sep 3, 2015, at 1:17 PM, Ignasi Cambra <
<mailto:ic4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>ic4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ic4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

Oh! I didn't follow the thread from the beginning, and for some reason I
thought you didn't have the snow leopard DVD! Yes of course, you could
install Snow Leopard again, and then upgrade. The thing is that from the
point you install from the DVD you will have to upgrade to Snow Leopard
10.6.8 before being able to do anything. This would definitely be the
most time-consuming, but also the easiest.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 3, 2015, at 7:00 PM, Singing Sparrow <
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

why notgive me the instructions and let me try it. is there a way
i could use the snow leppard
dvd to totally erase the drive and then reinstall snow leppard and then
theupdate to snow leppard and then do the install of yosemity?

On 9/3/2015 11:53 AM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:
Running Yosemite with only 2 GB of RAM is not ideal, but is still
within apples minimum requirements. Voiceover really doesn't use much
memory at all, so as long as you try not to run many applications at
the same time your system should still run quite smoothly.
The thing is that your situation is actually quite tricky: From OS X
10.6.8 you should be able to download Yosemite from the Mac App Store,
but you won’t be able to install it right away because it looks like
your user account doesn’t have administrator privileges. Even to do a
clean install you will need administrator privileges on that computer
in oder to create a bootable drive that you can use to install
Yosemite from, so there are two options that I can think of:
1. Find someone who knows how to create a bootable USB drive from the
Yosemite installer and who can do it from a computer that’s not yours,
then boot from that drive, erase your hard drive containing the Snow
Leopard installation and
install Yosemite.
2. You can always boot into your Mac in Safe Mode and modify the
password for the administrator account on your computer, which is
really quite simple if you are comfortable writing commands in a
terminal window with no voice feedback. This should be possible if
whoever gave you that computer hasn’t activated firmware password
protection, which is very likely. If you manage to change the
administrator password you will be able to install whatever you want
and use the computer however you like. I could try to give you
instructions on how to do that, but if you aren’t familiar with the
Unix console environment maybe it’s not the best idea.
Hope this helps...

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 3, 2015, at 6:20 PM, Singing Sparrow <
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Ok, this is my current set up.
the macbook is a mid 2010 white polly carbon intel core 2 duo 2.4 ghz
processor 2 gigs of ddr3 ram 250 gig hardrive current osx version is
10.6.8 this was updated from the osx
version that was installed on the macbook which
was 10.6.3 how could i do a clean install of yosemity when i would
need to know what the user name and password would be to even do an
install of yosemity? according to what i read on a few web sites
about it?

On 9/3/2015 3:18 AM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:
Which version of Snow Leopard do you have installed? If you are on
10.6.8 you would be able to do a clean install of Yosemite if your
computer is able to run it. In that case you would not need the snow
leopard DVD. If you are on a version earlier than 10.6.8 then your
best choice would be to just boot from the DVD, use disk utility to
erase your drive, and follow the instructions to reinstall the
system. That would allow you to set your own password, which would
make it possible for you to update your computer to 10.6.8, and then
upgrade to Yosemite.
Obviously before doing any of this you should copy any important
information or files in that computer to an external drive.
Otherwise you will just lose everything.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 3, 2015, at 10:01 AM, Singing Sparrow <
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

If i look and i have the dvd what would be the steps to cleanly do
an install removing everything and making sure that nothing is left
behind?

On 9/3/2015 2:50 AM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
All the solutions I know of, given that you don't have the install
cds or dvd that came with it, involve booting into safe mood,
where you have to type several lines without any feedback as
voiceover doesn't work. Even if you either erase the current users
and reset it to run the setup assistant again, or just reset the
password for a user, then you have to also fix or delete and
restart building the keychain. I wouldn't recommend this to
anybody unless he/she had excellent typing skills that don't need
audible feedback and had experience with the Mac, especially using
terminal. If I was right there to guide step-by-step or could do
it myself, I might do this and actually have done it on a Mac on
one occasion. But honestly, even if doing this works, you will not
have securely erased this other person's information. What really
needs to happen is for you to completely erase and reinstall your
system. The only way I know of for you to do this would be to
purchase the snow leopard
dvd from the Apple Store (not available in the
app store; you need to buy a physical product). You would bring up
the dvd for install which can be explained in more detail once you
are doing it but go into disk utility on the dvd and totally erase
your drive
first. Then you would do a clean install via the dvd and would
set up your own user information. Long-term, I think this would be
the best solution though I can understand that you would like a
quick fix so you can go ahead and install Adobe flash player and
get on with life, but I honestly think this approach would benefit
you most in the long run.

As for installing Yosemite, first you would need to know if you
meet all the requirements for running Yosemite and have enough
memory to make it a positive experience; I would tend to recommend
more memory than the minimum requirement especially with running
voiceover. But again, trying to install it over your Snow Leopard
install is going to require the password for the administrator.
Starting over again from scratch may seem like a daunting
undertaking, but I think that long-term it would prove to be a
better choice than trying to deal with a system
that was given to you with
somebody else's information and setup already on it.
Unfortunately, people who want to make money, or want to help
other people, or both, do this way too often: hand on a computer
without fully erasing and reinstalling a clean system and without
even remembering and passing on passwords if for some reason it
cannot be
reinstalled by the giver/seller. It's often a very
well-intentioned action, but it often makes things very difficult
for a new user and may even end up discouraging that user from
trying to use a Mac.

Did you post here what your Mac's model is, amount of memory, etc.
It's very possible you could and should eventually install
Yosemite but you would want to know that your system is compatible.

If you need help doing an install and don't already have somebody
to help you, and live in the U.S. and could work over the phone, I
would be glad to help you. You would be welcome to email me
offlist and we could explore whether this would be doable. There
are probably others on the list who would do the same and if you
feel that your best course is to do this as independently as
possible, I know that people on the list will be glad to continue
assisting you via the list. I actually know nothing about your
background and experience and don't at all intend to underestimate
your knowledge and work in this area; i hope my offer does not
sound like I am doing this.

<http://www.icanworkthisthing.com/>http://www.icanworkthisthing.com
<http://www.icanworkthisthing.com/>

Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link
below.

<//www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover>//www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover
<//www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover>

<mailto:macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx