[macvoiceover] Re: More new list members!

  • From: Samuel Proulx <samuel.proulx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:47:51 -0500

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome! I've been meaning to post an intro message to the list, but I just got my Mac 2 days ago, and I've been so busy doing things that I never got round to it. So, on the theory better late than never: I'm a 19 year old male from Toronto, Canada. I've used Windows since I was 10 years old, and other than basic linux administration, this is my first experience switching OS's. I'm impressed that In just two days, I've been able to get my mail, rss, and web browsing set-up, as well as install xcode and fink to get all the linux tools I'm used to from my server administration. I've also got google talk and skype set up with little difficulty, and installed ogg and flac support for itunes/quicktime after some fighting. Other than MSN and a decent word processor (text edit is missing features I need), I have everything I need to make the OSX machine my main working machine. I tried to get MSN going, but Messenger for Mac doesn't make voiceover happy. I can't use a jabber transport with IChat because I need file transfers. Once I do some basic research on these questions, I'll probably end up posting to the list about them. But I'll google, first. <grin> The reason I decided to switch in the first place is because my Windows machine blue-screened in the middle of a university lecture, and I lost an entire class's worth of notes. A week before that, the university network infected me with a virus, even though I run an up-to-date virus checker and windows updates. I don't have time to deal with that stuff. Even if I can never do my assignments on OSX for lack of a proper Microsoft Word replacement, at least I can take notes in text edit with less risk of crashes in the midst of class. Thus far, this machine has never been rebooted, other than to install software updates.
On 11-Dec-07, at 11:54 PM, Keith Reedy wrote:

Hi folks and welcome new list members.

I try to send a message to the list every few days to tell you all that we have new members among us, but, lately I have been falling down on the job. New members, please know that you are welcome here. When you find the time, please check out the guides and other helps at
www.icanworkthisthing.com
under
MAC with Voiceover.

Thanks.