[macvoiceover] Re: Kindle app on Mac OS X

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Macvoiceover Email list <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:16:36 -0500

You are most welcome!

I do not understand why there is one from both sources; they do not appear to
be the same.
--
Cheryl

The name of Jesus is not only light but also food;
it is also oil, without which all food of the
soul is dry;
it is salt, without whose seasoning whatever is set before us is insipid;
finally, it is honey in the mouth,
melody in the ear,
rejoicing in the heart,
and at the same time medicine.
Every discourse in which his name is not spoken is without savor.
(Bernard as quoted in Calvin's Institutes)

On Aug 22, 2015, at 8:05 PM, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for the great information. I downloaded my Kindle app from the app
store, so I will uninstall it and try the one from Amazon. I guess I’ll stick
to reading Kindle books on my iPhone for now.

Thanks again.

Russell
On Aug 22, 2015, at 5:47 PM, Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

It is not accessible for reading. However, if you have the latest version,
you can register it; make sure it is the one you download from Amazon and
not the one on the app store and make sure it is the latest. After
installing, open it. I think you are then in the register area and it may
even say that but I may be remembering incorrectly. Either you are right in
register or you can get there but I think you are there immediately. Don't
move around or attempt to use voiceover; type your email address; then tab
and type your password; tab twice and press enter (at least, I think i
remember it this way but if I'm wrong, keep playing with it). If you hit
enter at the wrong place, safari will open in a place for you to do a
captcha because you forgot your password so I assume that if you press enter
in the wrong place you are on "forgot your password?". But don't panic; this
hasn't negated your password; just close safari, close the app, and open and
try again. At any rate, if you enter information "blindly" in the right
place, you will be registered and you will be able to tell this by the
window you now have in the Kindle that no longer is about registering. You
can also doublecheck this by going to the Amazon website and checking your
list of devices to see if this one has been added.

Now, perhaps you want to know why one would want to register this if it
isn't accessible. Well, some things are. You can navigate all the menus and
even preferences and so I think you can accessibly change where your books
are stored if you desire. It's just that one vital step from being
accessible: you can't read a book. But if you do vo-space on a book in your
content, it will announce the name of the book as it loads.

The reason I wanted to register is that I wanted to be able to store books
on my computer even if I can't read them there. In the past, I've had to
have a sighted person download my books to my computer. Now, however, I can
go to the website and choose books to download and choose the device of the
app on my computer (that can be tricky as it's kind of hard to tell whether
you have chosen the right device). Then those books will be downloaded. You
can check that they have been downloaded by looking for files where your
content is stored and, since the titles of the downloaded files are usually
numbers and letters without the title, you can do vo-space on the book
filename to hear the title once you open it and then I imagine you could
edit the filename accordingly by hitting enter on the filename where your
content is stored and changing the name. So to me it is worth it to register
this. I do intend to email or in some way communicate with Amazon to
encourage them to make the app on the Mac accessible so others might want to
do this too. I downloaded this app because I got an email telling me I had
an outdated version so it must be fairly new.

--
Cheryl

The name of Jesus is not only light but also food;
it is also oil, without which all food of the
soul is dry;
it is salt, without whose seasoning whatever is set before us is insipid;
finally, it is honey in the mouth,
melody in the ear,
rejoicing in the heart,
and at the same time medicine.
Every discourse in which his name is not spoken is without savor.
(Bernard as quoted in Calvin's Institutes)

On Aug 22, 2015, at 6:13 PM, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:rsolowoniuk@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Is the Kindle app for the Mac accessible? I installed it, but am having
trouble registering the app. I am not able to find a place to enter my user
ID and password. When I click on the Register button within the General tab
of Kindle preferences, all VO reads is a lot of unknown fields.

Has anyone had success registering the Kindle app on a Mac, and, if so,
once registered, is it accessible with VO?

Thanks,

Russell>
http://www.icanworkthisthing.com <http://www.icanworkthisthing.com/>

<//www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover>