[macvoiceover] Re: Installing Snow Leopard in preparation for Lion?

  • From: ashley <ash.cox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 18:35:34 +0100

No, it'll run fine.
the only reason I suggested doing a clean install is because going from leopard, to snow leopard, to lion, there will probably be some unnecessary files and software left on the system, which takes up hard disc space and could slow the system down. But you shouldn't run into any problems if yoo go the upgrade path.
ash

Website:
http://www.ashleycox.co.uk
Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/ashleycox2
Blog:
http://daysofthegeek.blogspot.com

On 08/07/2011 18:03, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:
Hi Ash,

My friend doesn't wish to lose all her documents and installed apps, so, if we
just do an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard will this be okay, or will
there be unwanted issues?

Thanks,

Russell
On 2011-07-08, at 10:28 AM, ashley wrote:

Hi,
the answer to your first 2 questions is yes; you can just upgrade by booting
form the disc, infact if you want to upgrade just put in the disc when the
mac's booted and follow the instructions.
The lion installation by default does an upgrade
however, in your particular situation using leopard, i'd do at least a clean
install of snow leopard first...

ash

Website:
http://www.ashleycox.co.uk
Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/ashleycox2
Blog:
http://daysofthegeek.blogspot.com

On 08/07/2011 17:18, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:
Hi all,

I have a friend who is still running Leopard.  She wants to be able to upgrade
to Lion when it comes out, so will need to install Snow Leopard first.  I'd
like to do this for her and have a few questions.

1. To install Snow Leopard, do I just need to put the SL disk in and boot while holding
down the C key, and then choose "Upgrade"?
2. She doesn't wish to lose all her documents, so, can I just choose to do an
upgrade rather than a clean install?
3. I plan to do a Time Machine backup before upgrading.  Is there anything else
I should be aware of?

I did this on my iMac, but that was two years ago and the old memory ain't
quite what it used to be! LOL

Thanks all,

Russell>

with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at