[macvoiceover] Fwd: Turning off Recommendations at the iTunes Store [was Re: iTunes Store]

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:57:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Esther <moriond@xxxxxxx>
Date: July 23, 2009 5:48:11 PM EDT
To: <mac-access@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Turning off Recommendations at the iTunes Store [was Re: iTunes Store]

Hi Gordon,

This issue of turning off iTunes Store recommendations is a couple of days old, but I never managed to send off my draft reply about Simon's response, so I'm posting now.

Simon was making a very good suggestion about viewing the settings for your iTunes account. If you are signed into your iTunes Store account (as you have to be in order to make purchases), you can either choose the "View my account" option under the Store menu on the iTunes menu bar or, if you already have the iTunes Store selected in your sources table, you can use item chooser menu to go to the "View my iTunes Store account" button and press it with VO-Space. If you navigate to the HTML area after giving your password, you'll be able to review your account information, purchase history, etc. VO-Down arrow to "Recommendations" and check whether you setting is to have recommendations turned on or off. There's a "Manage Recommendations" button you can press to change your options.

Cheers,

Esther

On Jul 21, 2009,  Gordon Smith wrote:

Hi Simon.

On 21 Jul 2009, Simon Cavendish wrote:

Hello, I have also started receiving adverts when I land on the "Itunes sttore" icon in the source menu. I've just gone into "view my account", and I found that I had "recommendations" turned on. So I turned them off. Maybe that's what you need to do.

You turned what off, sorry? Actually though, I think my head must have been somewhere different yesterday because today when I come back to play with this, I am able to navigate the store as I used too, despite the ads being a little irritating.

Today I'm not seeing this as quite such a problem, although a minor irritation.

To be absolutely fair, you can still go to the search text and search from there. And again, to be absolutely fair, although this was not happening for me yesterday, it's actually quite nice now once you get passed all the ads. Certainly, the album search is far better than I remember it previously.

So I think I did the right thing yesterday by just walking away for a while. Today this doesn't look to be such a major issue.

*** All parts of this message were scanned at the server level by our integrated anti-virus module. ***