[macvoiceover] Re: Disappearing Programs After Installation

  • From: "Jim Fettgather" <jimfettgather@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 11:19:33 -0600

Thanks for the suggestion, Keith, in order to successfully remove a program, besides sending the application file to the trash, are there other steps that need to be done? I seem to recall that it's necessary to locate and delete the preferences file as well?

Thanks.

-----Original Message----- From: Keith Reedy
Sent: Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:30 AM
To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [macvoiceover] Re: Disappearing Programs After Installation

Hi Jim,

Before you go to all of the trouble of reinstalling the OS try removing GB10 as was suggested earlier and then installing GB6. I don't even use GB10 because of its problems.
We print the Bible in Braille,
http://biblesfortheblind.org
Keith Reedy
God gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him.  J Hudson Taylor.

On Feb 1, 2014, at 8:51 AM, Jim Fettgather <jimfettgather@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No actual folder, just the Garage Band application.
I am trying to work out whether there is a way, during the install routine, to change the default installation location.
If that can be done, perhaps  it will install.
The only other thought is to do a clean install of Mavericks, install Garage Band 6.5, then install the newest Garage Band from the app store.
Thanks.

-----Original Message----- From: Tuscia-Falconer
Sent: Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:56 AM
To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When GB10 installs, it did not overwrite GB6 so it is a bit strange why your GB will not show.
In your Applications, do you have a GB folder or just GB10 ?

TF

On 1/02/2014, at 7:28 pm, Jim Fettgather <jimfettgather@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One more observation about this.
During the install routine, there is a customize button.
When activating that button, a table is presented with the list of 3 programs that will be installed, each with a checkbox. So, iPhoto and iMovie are checked, but Garage Band is dimmed out and cannot be checked. This has to be because the newer version of Garage Band is already on the machine, maybe? The newer versions of iPhoto and iMovie were actually overwritten I believe, but I did not see a way where you could specify a different location for installation of these programs.

-----Original Message----- From: Keith Reedy
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2014 9:52 PM
To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Actually, my GarageBand 6 is in a folder called GarageBand 6.5. I think I would give Apple support a call.
We are Braille Bible printers,
http://biblesfortheblind.org
Keith Reedy
keithreedy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jan 31, 2014, at 9:25 PM, Jim Fettgather <jimfettgather@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Keith, Thanks for the idea, I have no iLife folder in Applications, and nothing shows up in a spotlight search for iLife. I've tried installing this twice now, and the programs can simply not be found.
I cannot imagine what could have gone wrong.

-----Original Message----- From: Keith Reedy
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2014 7:55 PM
To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You may find that they are in the iLife 11 folder in applications.
We are Braille Bible printers,
http://biblesfortheblind.org
Keith Reedy
keithreedy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jan 31, 2014, at 7:16 PM, Jim Fettgather <jimfettgather@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello.
I purchased an iLife 11 DVD and installed it on my Mavericks MacBook Pro.
The installation went well, or at least it seemd to go well, and
concluded with the installation was successful.
However, these 3 programs, I believe they areIphoto, IMovie, and
Garage Band, are nowhere to be found.
The newer versions of these programs are there, but I have looked
everywhere, Applications Folder, Home Folder, Users Folder, these
iLife 11 versions are nowhere to be found.
I tried a spotlight search, and only the more recent  versions of the
programs showed up.
I would sure like to know whether or not these programs can be
installed, and if so, where the heck did they go?
Thanks for any suggestions.