[macvoiceover] Comments on Opera from a very savvy sighted source using VoiceOver

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:38:30 -0500

Hi all.  I received this just now from a person with whom I work.  He is one
of the editors of the WCAG guidelines an is also an Opera user.  I asked him
to take a look at some pages with Opera, the Mac and Voiceover.  Here are
his comments.

Neal,  I had a pretty similar experience with this. Opera doesn't seem to
announce headings or lists at all and reads pages in a seemingly random
order. The really weird thing is that when you go to a new page, it doesn't
necessarily start at the top. Rather, it seems to start about as far down
the page as the link you followed on the previous page.

Looks like they're making some good progress though. If you're passing
advice along, I'd be interested to know what they're doing to determine
reading order. Do they have a reason to not follow the source order of the
page?

Neal Ewers
Ravenswood Productions
Madison Wisconsin
Local phone: 608-277-1995
Toll Free: 888-544-8332
 email: neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://ravenswood.org <http://ravenswood.org/>
FTP site: ftp://ftp.ravenswood.org <ftp://ftp.ravenswood.org/>
Skype name:  neal163