[macvoiceover] A unique use for VoiceOver or how VoiceOver can be used by the sighted

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: General discussions on all topics relating to the use of Mac OS X by the blind <discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, macvoiceover <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mary Beth Janes <mjanes@xxxxxxxxx>, Mike Shebanek <shebanek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:04:10 -0700

My wife, who is blind, got a new MacMini and with it a wireless bluetooth keyboard it we also got her a bluetooth headset. My wife wanted to be able to use the computer about the house. Here's how it works and how this might have application for the sighted as well.

She has the sound going to the headset she then takes just the keyboard and is able to use the computer from any place in the house including out in the yard using VoiceOver to control the computer. The computer remains on her desk safe and sound.

If she wants to take the computer someplace all she has to do is unplug the screen and put the computer, power cord, keyboard and headset in a backpack and plug it into a wall outlet where ever she is. She has most of the advantages of a portable without the cost.

Now the idea of using only a keyboard and headset as remote control devices for a computer with VoiceOver could have application for the sighted as well as the blind. It is a classic example of everyone benefiting from accessible technology rather like curb cuts being a benefit to those pushing strollers or people in bars watching the closed captions.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022